No monitor signal

molax

My monitor gets no signal sometimes. for example I will leave the pc off for like 5hrs, then turns on the monitor says no signal. but each time I reseat the gpu it goes back to normal and does not experience lost signal not unless if turning it off for like 5hrs. this is a new pc build came from dubai and shipped to philippines for like 2months and this problem was like 3weeks already.

pc specs
mobo: asus p8b75-v
gpu: xfx r7850 double dissipation
ram: patriot 2x 4gb
psu: delco 650w (not known)

ps tried 2 monitor and other cables but none work, and 1 thing I noticed is that when I set the bios primary video to pcie then if it will not turn on then reseated gpu, bios goes back to auto. also note that I have post beeps and I can hear windows tune.

hope you guys can help me. been searching for the solution but none seem to work

Make sure the cables are securely fastened and pushed in. What CPU do you have? Because the CPU may not have integrated graphics, so only the GPU can transfer a signal. Just keep the GPU in all the time, it allows for better performance even when surfing the web (hardware acceleration.)

Sorry forgot to put the cpu. by the way its i5 3570k. if I use onboard graphice it works perfectly fine. could there be a possibility that system changes settings each time it turns off?
this morning for some reason the pc works perfectly fine the signal was ok. tried everything I could. but I dont know if this will continue, for 3weeks this is the first time it got signal from first boot.

hope you can feed me more info regarding to the said problem.

I am confused though. Didnt you say that when you take out the GPU it doesnt work? But now you are saying onboard graphics work? Restate your issue, I am confused now.

My monitor gets no signal sometimes. for example I will leave the pc off for like 5hrs, then turns on the monitor says no signal. but each time I reseat the gpu it goes back to normal and does not experience lost signal not unless if turning it off for like 5hrs. this is a new pc build came from dubai and shipped to philippines for like 2months and this problem was like 3weeks already.

pc specs
mobo: asus p8b75-v
gpu: xfx r7850 double dissipation
ram: patriot 2x 4gb
psu: delco 650w (not known)

ps tried 2 monitor and other cables but none work, and 1 thing I noticed is that when I set the bios primary video to pcie then if it will not turn on then reseated gpu, bios goes back to auto. also note that I have post beeps and I can hear windows tune.

hope you guys can help me. been searching for the solution but none seem to work
Do you have a way to post a screenshot? When I reboot my XP Pro, I get a short message saying similiar to what you said but my connection(s) are fine & everything works.
Its been that on this pc since before I got it 3rd or 4th hand.
I will try to post a screenshot in a moment.
"EDIT" Tried, but can't

I am confused though. Didnt you say that when you take out the GPU it doesnt work? But now you are saying onboard graphics work? Restate your issue, I am confused now.

if I use gpu during first boot it does not have signal, but when I reseat the gpu it will worked just fine.
but, there is no problem in the monitor when I used the onboard vga.
my only problem is when the gpu is inserted.
I have tried removing power cord and pressing power button for half a min and it works but in the next day, back to normal no signal.

Do you have a way to post a screenshot? When I reboot my XP Pro, I get a short message saying similiar to what you said but my connection(s) are fine & everything works.
Its been that on this pc since before I got it 3rd or 4th hand.
I will try to post a screenshot in a moment.
"EDIT" Tried, but can't

sorry I cannot. when does your problem started?

Try disabling The on board vga from the bios. Then set the bios to boot from PCI Express for your GPU. If I am understanding you right. Your saying it will not always boot from the GPU. Doing as I stated should solve your problem. Good Luck

sorry I cannot. when does your problem started?
My pc is 3rd or 4th hand . When I reboot it, the screen goes black as is normal & then a small ractangle box shows up saying "No signal input check your video input". But its been saying that since before I got it.
Obviously there is no video input since it is rebooting.:)
Do what Cobalt006 suggests.

Try disabling The on board vga from the bios. Then set the bios to boot from PCI Express for your GPU. If I am understanding you right. Your saying it will not always boot from the GPU. Doing as I stated should solve your problem. Good Luck

I already tried that. but...when I next turn on the pc(it wont boot. then I do either force shut down, reseating gpu or pressing power button for half a min) it will work again and when I visit the bios, the primary graphics went back to auto. it always happen.

My pc is 3rd or 4th hand . When I reboot it, the screen goes black as is normal & then a small ractangle box shows up saying "No signal input check your video input". But its been saying that since before I got it.
Obviously there is no video input since it is rebooting.:)
Do what Cobalt006 suggests.

I think we have a separate problem here mate.

It could be a problem with your GPU, Beings your on board graphics is working. Being this is a new build. You still should have a warranty on the card.

It could be a problem with your GPU, Beings your on board graphics is working. Being this is a new build. You still should have a warranty on the card.

do you think the gpu is the problem? if I hold the power button for 30sec the GPU works just fine. and also it worked when reseated. the problem occurs only when it was shut down for 5 hours or higher.

It may very well be the GPU, If it were me I would try reseating the the memory and the GPU. Plus check all my connections. Then if you are still having the same problem. Try testing the GPU in another computer if possible. This way you will no for sure.

Did you check the drivers of the GPU in the device manager. Make sure they are up to date, as they could be crashing. I had that problem with a HD 7770, until a new driver update from ATI solved the problem. The screen kept going black and coming back As "Cobalt006" said the gpu might be the problem if everything else is working just fine.

Hey,

after how many days, I come up with a rather obscure solution. and that solution was removing dvd drive. I dont know why but it proved to me that it is the solution. now the question is. WHY removing dvd drive lets my gpu cause signal to the monitor and when I connect the dvd drive I gets no signal sometimes from the monitor. please enlighten me someone!

If making the changes cobalt suggested doesnt work (assuming the auto selection from bios is not working and you have to make the manual change) then I would check the wattage of your power supply make sure its putting out the listed voltage, (on the sticky pasted to the psu most of the time) with the onboard video working from "wake up", it might be that the PSU isn't putting out enough power to the PCIe slot during "wake up" from hibernation/sleep mode hence onboard works from wake-up, while your PCIe video adapter doesnt, but if you do a hard reboot everything is normal, that would be what I would surmise without having the system on my bench to test voltages.
your not connecting and disconnecting an internal DVD rom while your system is powered on, are you? that is something I would recommend against doing, never "hot connect" a device that is NOT meant to be "hot swapped" or especially in a system not designed for hot swapped devices.

If making the changes cobalt suggested doesnt work (assuming the auto selection from bios is not working and you have to make the manual change) then I would check the wattage of your power supply make sure its putting out the listed voltage, (on the sticky pasted to the psu most of the time) with the onboard video working from "wake up", it might be that the PSU isn't putting out enough power to the PCIe slot during "wake up" from hibernation/sleep mode hence onboard works from wake-up, while your PCIe video adapter doesnt, but if you do a hard reboot everything is normal, that would be what I would surmise without having the system on my bench to test voltages.
your not connecting and disconnecting an internal DVD rom while your system is powered on, are you? that is something I would recommend against doing, never "hot connect" a device that is NOT meant to be "hot swapped" or especially in a system not designed for hot swapped devices.

sir, the monitor is working perfectly fine when I removed the dvd rom. I dont know the logic behind it but it seemed to me as my temporary solution. can you explain to me why is that happening?

and also what do you mean by hot swapped?

Like Chad hord said. It maybe the Psu is not putting out enough power. Either way you have a power problem here. Taking out the dvd rom. Is not the solution. I would run a check on the PSU, Plus the main board.

Back