No new move by DVD Forum towards Blue Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"The DVD Forum, the body that oversees the DVD specification, has decided to stick with red laser technology and current storage capacities rather than make the move to blue light and more capacious discs."

Horrifyingly enough, moves are afoot to upgrade the DVD standard towards more internet integration. Why is this horrifying? Well, because it’s the beginnings of the DVD disk itself becoming nothing more than an "electronic ticket" to access media through broadband internet, and whilst this may not happen today or even tomorrow, it’s very likely coming.

Blue light technology, however, promises increase storage capacity, and would have been much more welcome to me, anyway. And you, I dare say.

More here.

Go figure. If they have more space on a disk then that leaves more room for better quality video & audio (As with Superbit Editions which do so by cutting out extras).

I imagine that we are only a small way into working out just how great an amount can be fit onto a CD, DVD, type optical disk.

I think it will turn out that you can fit A GREAT DEAL onto small optical disks.

If only we focused on that, rather than bowing to the wishes of music and movie companies, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back