No operating system found

Jskid

I am trying to fix a computer that cannot boot. Sometimes the errors are shown too quickly for me to read.

When I try to boot Windows normally the following happens
  • shows Windows starting screen
  • restarts
  • I believe it tries to pixy boot
  • Shows "PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel boot agent" and "1962: No operating system found"
  • keeps going through a cycle where it says DHCP.../ (where the slash rotates) and says the client mac addr and GUID and says "PXX-E53: No boot file name received"
When I try to boot windows into start up repair the following happens
  • start up repair scans for problems and takes a long time and sometimes hangs
  • finds that it could not repiar the computer automatically and gives a bunch of information, one of which is "Problem signature 07: CorruptRegistry"
I've opened the box and checked the cables and blew compressed air to get rid of dust. I went into the bios settings and the setup utility says "IDE Drive 0 500GB SATA1"

There are documents on the computer that should be saved. I suspect that there are two partitions. What is the next step?

The PXE note says {a} no boot device found (hd, usb, cdrom) {b}so the network is being accessed - - ONLY works in a DOMAIN environment.

Clearly the boot environment is corrupt - - do you know which Windows existed previously?
Win/7 or 8 is special and all others use the MBR technique.

shows Windows starting screen
this says the MBR is fine and the issue is with the NTLDR et al.

You will need a CD to boot and from that use the Repair Install option.
(the recovery is unlikely due IMO to the registry comment).

Windows XP and we never had an original install CD because we used a Clonezilla to flash the image of the OS.

*IF* there's a restore partition, then you can borrow any cd to get the Recovery.
Otherwise, I'm a afraid you're up a creek.

Start copying the critical files to a thumb drive now while looking for a solution.

Back