TechSpot

No operating system found

By Jskid
Feb 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I am trying to fix a computer that cannot boot. Sometimes the errors are shown too quickly for me to read.

When I try to boot Windows normally the following happens
    • shows Windows starting screen
    • restarts
    • I believe it tries to pixy boot
    • Shows "PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel boot agent" and "1962: No operating system found"
    • keeps going through a cycle where it says DHCP.../ (where the slash rotates) and says the client mac addr and GUID and says "PXX-E53: No boot file name received"
    When I try to boot windows into start up repair the following happens
    • start up repair scans for problems and takes a long time and sometimes hangs
    • finds that it could not repiar the computer automatically and gives a bunch of information, one of which is "Problem signature 07: CorruptRegistry"
    I've opened the box and checked the cables and blew compressed air to get rid of dust. I went into the bios settings and the setup utility says "IDE Drive 0 500GB SATA1"

There are documents on the computer that should be saved. I suspect that there are two partitions. What is the next step?

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

The PXE note says {a} no boot device found (hd, usb, cdrom) {b}so the network is being accessed - - ONLY works in a DOMAIN environment.

Clearly the boot environment is corrupt - - do you know which Windows existed previously?
    Win/7 or 8 is special and all others use the MBR technique.

this says the MBR is fine and the issue is with the NTLDR et al.

You will need a CD to boot and from that use the Repair Install option.
    (the recovery is unlikely due IMO to the registry comment).

3. Jskid

Jskid TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 341

Windows XP and we never had an original install CD because we used a Clonezilla to flash the image of the OS.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

*IF* there's a restore partition, then you can borrow any cd to get the Recovery.
    Otherwise, I'm a afraid you're up a creek.

Start copying the critical files to a thumb drive now while looking for a solution.