No Paging File in Win 2000

By Turetlat
Dec 17, 2006
  1. I screwed up my win2000 by using a dos version of ghost, and Powerquest Drive Image. My drive is ofcourse NT format, so now I cannot even copy my important files and try to restore/repair with the CD. Is there any way to restore this missing/too small paging file, even if I can not get into the windows gui anymore? Thanks!
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

So how did you screw it up exactly?

Windows will happily create a new pagefile if it needs one - your problems are somewhere else like corrupt registry or not enough room on the drive to create the pagefile.
  3. Turetlat

Turetlat TS Rookie Topic Starter

Lost page file

Thanks for your reply, I screwed up by copying my drive with powerquest drive immage from the floppies and then trying to boot. I also tried to copy using ghost. I wonder if it has anything to do with the "will hide source partition to protect original os upon completion of copy". When I tried to make copy, I received a "unsucessful or inproper dismount of drive" error after that I experienced "lost cluster" messages. I was way too fried to remember which program that was at that point. The windows boots and gets to applying your settings then keeps giving the missing page flile error. I hit ok and it keeps coming up.
    Thanks, and I try to keep this short but fail,
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Looks like the filesystem is broken.. Test the hard drive for errors and then test/fix the filesystem after that.

Also, if you have no idea what you are doing, better skip doing it next time.
    How about just starting over with a clear head?
  5. Turetlat

Turetlat TS Rookie Topic Starter

pagefile missing

Thanks, usually do know, but was too tired! Should know by now! Thanks again,
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.