No picture while watching videos

Guru1294

no picture while watching any video in any format excluding flash. All i get is black screen and sound is working however but no picture ...

This is a common error, yes i have researched on it yes i have downloaded many codecs such as KLITE and windows media codec packs. My problem was temporarily solved by installing one of these codecs but then after a few weeks it seems to have come back. From the little information i found it seems to be a "Graphics overlay problem", don't know what that is im quite week in this area it seems. And im sure its not a codec problem because i uninstalled all my downloaded codecs and within the temporary time period that my video used to work my videos did work without these codec packs so im quite lost here.

Please help me fix this issue.

See the thing is i sent my laptop in to hp and when i got it back i had to reinstall everything. No there is no potential viruses and i did install almost everything because i have about the same amount of hard disk space as before.

If the vlc media player doesn't work, I would back up my files, reformat, and re-install/re-image. Something like that is going to end up being more of a hassle to solve (in the long run) than just wiping the HDD and starting over.

Thats weird i had installed this software before and the videos seemed to be working then i uninstalled it and the videos were still working until a few days ago and now theyre back up and running. So i dont know but ya your tip definitely help. i have no clue why this would happen because even now sometimes the videos don't play properly in vlc but they do play properly in windows media player i guess cause its a wmv file i really dont know but thanks.

well yea but you see i have already dont formatting twice and to me for the third time its a hassle believe me but thanks for you idea you know at one point i almost thought of doing it

So much for the working video, well i have the black screen back and it's driving me nuts !!!

SO much for vlc it worked 2 days and now my video is gone again please help me.
i need help from experts

I can guarantee its not a codec problem can anyone please give me a proper reply

Do you have graphics card drivers/software installed? (Eg: nvidia control panel, catalyst control centre)

If so try removing all traces of them in your add or remove programs and reinstall new versions from the appropriate manufacturer.

Ensure your windows is up to date.

Remove all codec packs, and give vlc another try.

Wow. You have quite a mystery.

Take a look at your Windows Event Logs just in case you're lucky and an application, system or other event message is there which might help point to what-the-heck is going on!

Yes all my ati card drivers are up to date. I just recently updated them a week ago thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't.

As for the codecs I had already removed all of them to begin with so i guess all i can do right now is reinstall vlc, i have done it before but ill do it again i dont know what the hell is going on. This is the first time anything like this has happened. EVER !!

Very oddly i fixed the problem by installing real player and so far i have everything going well hopefully never have problems again

Back