No POST after dusting/RAM sensitivity issue?

By monshael
Mar 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Cleaned my PC with a vacuum cleaner and now it won't start up anymore. No hardware changes in months.
    I tried most of the suggestions from NO POST Tutorial, but conventional logic doesn't work for me so i need some help understanding the results:

-with everything i had before the cleaning, unchanged for months and which worked fine across multiple cleanings, there's no POST, startup or whatever.

-removed a pair of dual-channel RAM memory and now it works fine.

You might think they were damaged in the cleaning and so might i, but i didn't touch them, only used the vacuum to blow away the dust.
    From what i saw on a closer inspection, there are no scratches, burns, missing parts or cracks, so i don't really understand why they won't work anymore. I mean the mb recognizes them in their slots else it wouldn't beep when i remove them.
    Are they really that sensitive that they would break simply from blowing the dust off them a few times?
  2. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 723   +51

Vacuum cleaner? :/

First things first, cleaning a PC with a vacuum cleaner is head-on suicide IMAO. The damage may not necessarily be physical: but vacuum cleaners build static. And if I'm not mistaken, RAMs are classified as electronically sensitive components?
    Just pray your warranty hasn't expired :( :dead:
  3. monshael

monshael TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well, i clean it with whatever i have available. Isn't it better than not cleaning it at all?

Anyway, nevermind...I only needed to reverse their positions...Case closed.

See ya next time!