No post beep and no bios just a black screen

By bonecollector1
Apr 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When i turn on my computer i heard no post beep and i got just a balck screen. I took out the memory no beep. I disconnected all the power connector except the one to power the mobo and no beep either. Any other suggestions or what you think is the promblem? thankz
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

"Sounds like a dead BIOS chip..." From the limited description... Power supply or motherboard may be bad. Bios chips fail more from bad attemps of updating or flashing rather than out-of-the-blue
  3. bonecollector1

bonecollector1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

thankz but how can you test to see if the bios chip is bad?
    System: Man: PC Chips
    Hard Drive: 80gb
    Memory:DDR333 PC2700 256mb
    processor chip: socket 462
    motherboard: SIS 964L
    Bios chip: 686 AMBIOS TN64 3177
  4. Tmagic650

Replace the motherboard. If the bios chip is bad, this usually means the the motherboard MUST be replaced. Have you tried reseting the CMOS?
  5. bonecollector1

know i haven't tried resetting the cmos i will do that i post back my result
    thanks
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

7. Tmagic650

Nice guide Tedster. I really doubt if bonecollector1's PC Chips motherboard has an LED error display. We already know the board gives no beeps. Lets let him report back on the results of the CMOS reset
  8. bonecollector1

ok i have reset the cmos but i haven't gotten any beep either. I guess the motherboard went dead then
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

have you tested the PSU with a tester tool AND a multimeter?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.