No POST beep or video signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiie

I have a Compaq desktop which I have had sitting up for a while, it isn't but maybe 5 years old. I say it's been sitting up for about a year. Well anyways, I decided to break it out and get it going again. I got all my hardware, the CPU, HDD, 1GB DDR2 RAM, and a CD drive. I put everything back in properly and it does not POST beep at startup nor does the monitor get any signal. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

See if there's anything in this post that helps; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic113137.html

Oh, and did you remember to plug in the CPU (4 pin) power connector..? That can be such a deal breaker.

Sometimes, a PSU can go bad while sitting around. I've had one myself that wouldn't restart after it was powered off. (That said, the caps were whining pretty bad while it was running).

Yes, I plugged the CPU fan in. The HDD is being read from, there is no oxidization in the RAM slots nor the RAM card itself.

Not the CPU fan, the 4 pin "ATX" power connector, which should be on the board in the area of the CPU.

You say it's reading from the drive, is it actually booting, but not putting video up...?

Is it possible that static discharge damaged one or more of the components?

No post beep could be wires not connected from the speaker to the case.

If you don't mind me asking, why was this machine taken apart in the first place?

I needed the ram out of it to put in another PC, come to find out the other pc didnt have DDR2, it was just DDR.

I've also tried a old BGF video card I had previously installed on the pc and the onboard video doesn't work either.

I now have some beeps, I changed to my original PSU and I get a kinda short beep that lasts for about 1-2 seconds then right after it there is one that is about 3-4 seconds. Still no video. I looked at the BIOS beep guide and couldn't find anything that could help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back