No POST, No beeps, full power... WTF?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

As you can see, based on the thread title, I'm having a strange problem.

Here's how it happened:

I reinstalled windows and did quite a few updates and was installing all kinds of programs. Last time I restarted, I got a black screen with no POST beep or video card/ram beeps. I've tried reseating my RAM, video card, processor and sound card. I've tried removing all drives and extras to no avail. I've tried placing my video card in each of my 3 PCI-X slots with no luck. It seems like I have full power but it just won't POST.

I've had this problem previously and all I did was move the video card to another slot then back and that fixed it, but it didn't seem to work this time. I'm totally stumped. I've done nothing to the hardware that may cause my computer to just stop posting. I even made sure not to kick it for this reinstall of XP, despite the problems that ALWAYS arise.

The only thing I noticed that may potentially cause a problem (not likely considering it worked in its current condition) is that I noticed 2 tiny black spots around 2 pins on my processor. Could this indicate a short possibly?

Any help regarding this would be much appreciated.

Do you get absolutely not indication of power?
Watch the fan blades on the back of the power supply while somebody presses the start button. Doe the fan blades rotate a bit.. perhaps 1/4 to 7/8 turn then quit? If so, power supply is probably bad.
Otherwise, what happens when you attempt to start it in safe mode? Any difference in reaction of the system?

I get full power, as stated in the thread title. Everything seems to turn on, I just get no post or beep codes. The fans all spin at full speed. I did a bit of reading about my issue and it appears that my problem tends to mean either no power or a card is loose. I actually managed to get post once by reseating my video card in another one of my three PCI-X slots, but was unable to do it again after that. However, when I pull the video card out completely, I get no long beep followed by 3 short beeps indicating no video card. Uusually, one would assume that means motherboard broken, but everything gets power, including the video card (even without the 6 pin power connector).

What do you mean by safe mode?

You system can appear to get full power, but still have a bad rail. I would trade out power supplies or use a power supply tester, just to rule out one more item. Just because your fans run, does not mean it can deliver a load.
Then I would remove the video graphics card, by using the onboard one, or trade out with another known working one.
Reboot to safe mode by pressing the <F8> key once per second as soon as you press the power switch. This enables the computer to boot with the most demanding components disabled... video graphics at 800 X 600, etc.
Let it run for an hour.
Then run the free MemTest86 to rule out memory as an issue.
My speculation stays with either the power supply or the video graphics card.

Sometimes disconnecting all components you can, helps boil possible problems down to a few. It as important to rule out suspected hardware and driver failures, keeping notes as you go.
A very useful procedure is to disconnect the hard drive, all PCI devices, and boot to a floppy or another hard drive, with minimum memory. Try for the most simple boot you can create, then if successful, reboot after adding a component until it fails again. Don't forget testing the CMOS battery. Anything connected that uses power could be the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back