No POST unless unplug/replug PSU power cord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there.
A while back I was getting a lot of blue screens and on occasion artifact crashes which led to my machine death.
I'll turn it on, the fans start spinning, and usually the pc speaker will beep and POST will start, but no longer - it simply turns off. A few seconds will go by and it attempts to start up again by itself, but just continues this process.
I thought it was the motherboard, so I bought a new one but no luck.
I then bought a power supply (700W like my other one), but again no luck.
I've done combinations of these items, and it seemed to always work and start up once, but never a second time. I soon realized that the trick was unplugging/replugging the power supply. Then it will start up once.
I suppose I can live with having to unplug/replug the cord as necesary, but don't understand this problem at all. Apparently its not the motherboard, or the power supply. I'm starting to point my finger in the processor's direction, as I can't find anything else to blame.
I've read somewhere that the motherboard retains a charge, even when turned off, unless the power supply is unplugged. I'm thinking this might have something to do with it.
Any ideas why this problem is occurring?

My last attempt was the new mobo/ new power supply combination, and I also noticed, upon a successful POST, that it was reading my Q6600 (2.4 mhz) as 266x8 (2.13 Ghz). But I'm not sure if this is relevant, and wonder if that may just be because I still have the old mobo drivers on and did not install the new mobo drivers yet.

I'm going to go put back in my old mobo/ old power supply now and mess around it with some more.
Thanks in advance!

Q6600 (2.4 Ghz)
Old mobo - Gigabyte P35 -DS3R
New mobo - Gigabyte P45 -UD3R
Old PSU - OCZ 700W
New PSU - rocketfish 700W
Video - Geforce 8800GT
Ram - 4GB 1066 (also tried a separate 4GB 800)

Make sure you have plugged in the power connector near the CPU socket properly. Its either a 4 or 8 pin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back