No Power Up When Switch Is Pushed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came home from a trip and tried to turn on my desktops... both of them. My wife computer is a Gateway GT5408 and mine is a Gateway GT5654... neither will power-up... went out and bought one PSU... installed it and still no power... All cables are connected and I get absolutely nothing.. can you help.

Are they plugged into a surge protector? If not you could have had lightning while you were gone and if both computers were plugged into the wall outlet directly the lightning or power surge could have fried the motherboard. I have had it happen but only the PSU was cooked.

Power Supply Unit

First, thank you for serving... I served 23 years, US Army.... Both computer were plugged into surge protectors; Put a new PSU on mine and still nothing... Any suggestions?

If it still doesn't work and the outlet itself has power than I have to think the motherboard(s) are bad. I would try the new PSU in the other desktop just to make sure.

I only served 4 years so thank you Sir!!

Have you tried resetting the surge protector? Is your monitor plugged into the surge protector? is it showing power?

Sometimes OEM computers like Gateways have their powersupplies made special, so you can't go out and buy one yourself. The best way to tell is to compair the two supplies and the order and color of the wiring. If the colored wires are not identical between the main 20-24pin plug on the one you bought and the one you took out, then the supply may be proprietary. If they are identical and you do have power at the wall then you might try putting in a new stick of memory in one, or doing the old cmos reset by removing the motherboard battery for an hour or so and moving the cmos reset jumper to reset and back to run if you can find it (usually close to the battery). Do all this with the system unplugged from the wall of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back