No scrolling in Opera browser? Why not?

By pyromaster114
Aug 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Okay... so I recently (at the recommendation of a friend) installed Opera to try it out.

Well I like the browser just fine so far, but there's one problem: The scrolling feature on my touchpad just DOES NOT WORK at all in Opera.

Why?

So far, the following has been suggested:

Someone said "update the driver."
    Well may I ask then: FROM WHERE? WHAT DRIVER UPDATE?
    The only driver in existence (which I don't even know where I got it...) is the one I have.
    It's an Alps touchpad apparently, and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.
  2. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

Though I use Opera, I am not familiar with touchpads. But while awaiting an answer here, you can also try the Opera support forum, which specializes on this rather unjustifiably neglected browser:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,410   +213

I don't know if I have the answer but is this touchpad built into a keyboard or a separate USB or PS/2 item?
  4. bashier

bashier Newcomer, in training

may be i have a answer, but i am not sure whether it is right or not?
  5. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

Try disabling "Mouse Gestures" in the options and see if it works then? (Ctrl F12, then "shortcuts" in the left hand frame and uncheck "Enable Mouse Gestures", or Menu, Settings, Preferences instead of Ctrl F12). It might be that the scroll area of the touchpad is quite small and the software is detecting the start of a mouse gesture(particularly if you have a "tap to click" setting for the touchpad) which is over riding the scroll movement of the touchpad.
  6. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

Well, mouse gestures are off.
    Single key shortcuts are off.

The little scroll icon appears beside the pointer, so it seems to be sending the 'scroll' signal or whatever... but it doesn't work.
    I have absolutely no clue why it doesn't scroll.
  7. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,536   +92

And its working without problem in other application windows?
  8. pyromaster114

pyromaster114 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 395

Yep. Works just fine in Firefox, Google Chrome, Windows Explorer / IE, anything in windows... MS word.... you name it. Perfect. No problems.

Just Opera... just won't scroll for some odd reason... but yeah it's only opera.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.