TechSpot

No signal received by the monitor after the windows screen

By Mark Piotrowski
Dec 16, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello everyone, this is my first post so i hope that i can explain myself well enough so you can help me.

i have a problem with my base unit i think the model is a acer aspire G505, specs below. AMD Athlon XP 2600+ / 2.13 GHz, Chipset Type NVIDIA nForce2 IGP , 512 MB RAM DDR SDRAM, AGP - integrated Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA nForce2 IGP i am running windows xp home, if you need me to provide anymore details then i can try my best to get them for you.

essentially the problem is that i turn the computer on and the windows screen appears and the computer boots up (i think :confused: ) and after that the monitor loses signal and goes black, the strange thing for me is that the desktop has still loaded i believe because to shut the computer down again i can use the start key on the keyboard and use the keyboard shortcuts to shut the computer down. i have not dropped the computer at any point, i transported it from university and back home and thats when it has developed this issue, i have opened the box and all the cables seem to be secure on the motherboard but other than that my skills are limited im afraid.

i would be very gratful to any help that anyone can give me about this problem.

yours sincerly

Mark Piotrowski
  2. kangaruffian

kangaruffian TS Rookie Posts: 212

what about safe mode? if it does boot maybe you have wrong monitor refresrate setting? too high?
  3. Mark Piotrowski

Mark Piotrowski TS Rookie Topic Starter

i cant get it to boot in safe made but hitting the f10 key is the way that i was told to try and do it. i havent changed any of the setting since it last was working and this is the first time that i have turned it on. is there any other way to get it to boot into safe mode?
  4. kangaruffian

f8

it's f8 not f10
  5. Mark Piotrowski

no joy

f8 doesnt have an effect either im afraid, i still get the no signal message and a black screen :(
  6. kangaruffian

f8 or f5 keep tapping

:bounce: when booting
  7. Mark Piotrowski

i have now been able to achieve save mode :) what do u advise to do from here?
  8. kangaruffian

check videocard/monitor setting

or reinstall video drivers.. look first monitor refresh frequency setting try lower it 60hz /check "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" if its unchecked and then try again boot it up
  9. Mark Piotrowski

success

i have completed it not thank god!!! thanks very much for the help :D i managed to get the comp into safe mode and then i uninstalled the graphic controller. i then rebooted and it came to the desktop normally. i then reinstalled the updated drivers from nvidia and restarted and everything works fine now :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.