No signal to monitor (VGA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob2006ty

Hi I have a computer which i built it has worked fine for months, I had an lg monitor and then it kept going in and out of standby every 2 seconds, i saw the windows screen then the lg screensaver over and over. So I googled possible problems, it said there is a common fault in lg screens that causes this, so I took it back to the shop and got another acer one, I plug this in the pc boots up but the screen does nothing, just says no signal, i checked/replaced the cables, it's not those. but I know it's booting into windows enter password screen, because when i click on where the turn off icon is and hit enter it turns off, I wouldn't know if it booted into desktop because I turned the windows booting sound (da da da da) off ages ago. btw it's vga.

ps keyboard light comes on and all sounds are as normal, but can't see anything on the screen.

You got another monitor to try to see if you got a defective monitor? If by chance you are using a PCI-E or AGP card go into the BIOS and make sure you have the onboard video turned off or try pulling the card and using the onboard video.

You got another monitor to try to see if you got a defective monitor? If by chance you are using a PCI-E or AGP card go into the BIOS and make sure you have the onboard video turned off or try pulling the card and using the onboard video.

It is a radeon hd 4870 so not agp but i will try testing with another monitor later.

Ok tried another monitor, another cable (blue vga), checked all connections, not any of those.
Tried plugging into both card and then the mobo, no go, saw that the fan wasn't spinning on card, removed said card, plugged monitor into mobo et voila
monitor worked. So I assume it's the graphics card, tried both pci-e slots and two different power cable connections (6 pin pci-e) no go. The card definately has a fault.
(radeon hd 4870). I'm going to send graphics card back.

Got everything working apart from this issue (except my wireless card which is also faulty) sending both back, and fingers crossed that it definately
is faulty products and not a mobo issue, doubt it though because everything you can name works except these two things and it's all brand new.

Sounds like you may have a faulty mobo. Do you have another mobo to try or a friend who will let you plug the card into theirs real quick to find out?

Yea, the Motherboard would be the Problem if the Onboard wasn't working, but considering your Posts are a little scrambled, I can't really understand what you mean is some of the Posts. I'm sure you don't really need to Test the Radeon Card if you didn't see the Fan Spin.

Yea, the Motherboard would be the Problem if the Onboard wasn't working, but considering your Posts are a little scrambled, I can't really understand what you mean is some of the Posts. I'm sure you don't really need to Test the Radeon Card if you didn't see the Fan Spin.

Tell me what you want to know, I'm happy to provide any information you need. The onboard does work, the graphics card fan does not spin, and yes I think the card is the problem, heres my reasoning:

The card worked and was recognised before, so the mobo must check the pci slot it's in before using the onboard.

It is only using the onboard at the moment because it can't use the card. (suggests card fault)

The monitor only displayed a no signal message when the card was inserted, which suggests a card fault.

In which case do I need to test said card with another mobo? I can't see the point but I guess a quick test wouldn't hurt.

Actually yes, Test the Card with another Computer/Motherboard. (I've heard about PCI-E Slots and those like them going out from time to time.) I'm not too sure it would effect the Fan tho. I'm pretty sure the Fan would Spin up anyways. Do you happen to have another PCI-E X16 Card laying around?

Actually yes, Test the Card with another Computer/Motherboard. (I've heard about PCI-E Slots and those like them going out from time to time.) I'm not too sure it would effect the Fan tho. I'm pretty sure the Fan would Spin up anyways. Do you happen to have another PCI-E X16 Card laying around?

fraid not no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back