No signal to monitor

I've just done a new build, which consists of:

Asus P7H55-M
2x2gb Corsair RAM
Intel i5
Win Power +Plus 750w PSU
ATI Radeon HD 5850

I put all the pieces in place but I get no signal to the monitor. I've tried removing each component one by one until I am left with only the CPU, but still the error continues. I've tried the onboard graphics when the GPU isn't connected but it still happens. What could it possibly be? I've reset the CMOS, reseated the RAM and CPU, but nothing helps. I've also tried unplugging the power and holding the front power switch on for 30 seconds but to no avail.

I've never even heard of the PSU brand so I think it might be a problem with the quality of that. It was £32 so yeah...not great quality. There is no beeping although I'm not sure if the motherboard even has a beeper?

At the moment, I'm trying to get it working with the onboard graphics to eliminate the possibility of a graphics card error.

I've tried:

Removing each component one by one until left with just the CPU.
Unplugging the power and holding the on switch for 30 seconds.
A known working PSU.
Reseating and re-plugging everything.
Resetting CMOS.
3 monitors via 3 different cables - VGA, DVI and HDMI.
Building it outside the case on a non-conductive surface.

I'm baffled. Thoughts?

First test to do is prove the monitor and it's cable works, on another pc, or vga out on a laptop, (if you have a spare pc or can use one for this check.)
Then when you can rely on the monitor, connect it to the onboard vga socket, leave your video card out of the motherboard for now.
Connect your hard drive and a DVD drive.
Look for a 4-pin socket on the motherboard near the CPU, it needs a lead from the PSU, (if relevant to your pc).
Press power on button. What happens? Any activity from HDD or DVD front LED?
Any fans running in PSU or CPU ?
Any text on screen?
If no to all, then PSU is suspect.
If you can try a different PSU and still no activity, then motherboard is suspect.
If LED on DVD flashes, hold in power button to force shutdown.
Power on, Press your BIOS access key (F2 or Esc or Del whichever yours is).
Can you see BIOS screen, then 'On board devices'?
If yes, then set the 'on board devices' / 'integrated graphics' to enabled.
In boot sequence, make CD/DVD drive 1st, then 'on-board SATA' 2nd.
Then F11 to 'save & exit'.
If you get this far, it's probably going to be enough to install Windows, connect to the net via CAT5 cable to modem/router, activate Windows etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Ive tried 4 monitors, all of which work with my other PC, likewise the cables.

When I do what you suggest, the LED's and fans come on, and it sounds like the hard drive is getting power.

I've ruled out the PSU because I took the PSU out of my other machine which I know works, but got the same result.

Ok, sound good so far.
So you now have to get the BIOS screen up.
If you bought the motherboard new, with a manual, it should tell you what key you press for BIOS access. It's usually Function 2 key (F2). So power on, then tap F2 straight away, you should see the BIOS screen within 5 seconds after power button is pressed. (Sorry if you know this, but easier for me to type it out than ask.)
It's possible your BIOS key is Esc or Del, (I have known both on other PC's.)
In fact if all is well with your pc, you should see on screen a message such as;
'F2 to enter setup' (or whatever your key is.)
If you can't get that far, then I would suspect the motherboard.
*Also unlikely but can you try a different Keyboard, and be sure to have a mouse plugged in before you power on too.
**Just a thought, if you bought the motherboard new, did it have a piece of plastic under the CMOS 'coin' battery to stop it running down? If yes then remove it.

Just checking but did you plug in the power supply to the 8 pin ATX 12V connector on the motherboard near the CPU? Yes, I mean 8 pin not 4 pin.

Indeed, I have the 8 pin connected for the CPU and 24 pin do the mobo. There is nothing happening on the monitor. It's on standby. I shall try getting the BIOS up but there is no post or anything. I'm out today so I shall try it this evening and get back to you. Thanks a lot.

If I had to guess, it's set in BIOS to onboard video. are you able to hook the monitor to the onboard video and receive a signal?

Back