No signal to monitor

I've read a few of these threads I've seen but none of the solutions suggested haven't helped.

Midway through playing a game, both monitors flash black and display a "no signal" message. I've tried using another monitor with my computer with the same problem. I left the screens black for about five minutes before I decided to reset, and now I simply can't get anything on my monitors (both of which work on another system in the house).

Is there anything anyone can suggest that may help?
I've tried:
  • Cleaning my base unit.
  • Testing monitors with another system.
  • Testing another system with monitors.
  • Despite seeing no image, I tried to boot into safe mode.

Unfortunately, the only system specs I can remember are that I'm on Windows XP 64-bit and the graphics card (which I think may be the issue) is an Asus GTS250 DK/HTDI/1GD3 (Details from it's box).

Video input problems can be caused by many things, but to me it just sounds like your graphics card died.

To identify the problem (I assume the computer still 'starts'), please tell me:

• Do the monitors work on another computer?
  • Do you have a computer in which you can try the graphics card? If so, please do and share the results.
  • Have you had any heat related problems before?
  • Does your motherboard produce any beeps on startup?

Heat crashes mostly happen during long gaming-sessions, or when the computer is on for a long time.

If the motherboard produces (a) beep(s) on startup, see this for info on the problem.
If the monitor(s) work on another pc, they obviously aren't the problem.
If the graphics card works on another pc, there's probably something else that has died, like the cpu.

I hopes this helps you along (if still necessary ofcourse)

Marty

I'll add that it may be the power supply and/or one of its connector cables. It happened to me, and it was the last thing I bothered checking.

I can second that. I had a similar thing happen to me once and the PSU was the problem. I had thoroughly tested it (even manually with a volt-meter) and it seemed OK, but the problem was resolved after a switch of PSU.

One thing I might add to that is that PSU's tend to die mostly from shortages and static discharges. There isn't really any good reason why it would shut down whilst gaming.

Marty

Back