No sound after reinstalling Windows XP

israelTECH

Hey guys, i recently re-installed windows xp on my Sony Vaio VGN T1XP/L (GB) - after doing so i now have no sound. i am not a complete noob because i have installed sound drivers before on my computer but it has never escalated to this level of frustration. i downloaded the drivers for my laptop and within the audio file was soundMAX and when i run it it unpacks and i get an error message at the end telling me the drivers were not found and i should reboot. when i went on the sony vaio website and i found my specific model it says:

Multimedia

Audio ChipsetAD1981B - 16-bit CD-quality stereo sound
Chipset ManufacturerAnalog Devices
Audio TypeAC Link

and i have downloaded Everest but funny enough in the summary there's no multimedia section :s ALSO in an attempt to fix the sound i recently logged in on safe mode and deleted the legacy audio drivers now in device manager the only drivers that show under sound, video and game controllers are:

- Legacy Media Capture Devices
- Media Control Devices
- Video Codecs

Here is my Everest Summary:

Field Value
Computer
Computer Type Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name ISRAELS-LAPTOP
User Name Israel (Guyman)
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2011-07-12 / 09:52

Motherboard
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M ULV 733, 1100 MHz (11 x 100)
Motherboard Name Sony VGN-T1XP_L(GB)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Montara-GM+ i855GME
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
BIOS Type Phoenix (06/09/05)

Display
Video Adapter Intel Extreme Graphics 2
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics 2

Storage
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801DBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CA
Disk Drive Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device
Disk Drive Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device (238 MB, USB)
Disk Drive TOSHIBA MK4004GAH (40 GB, 4200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Optical Drive MATSHITA UJ-822Da (DVD+RW:2.4x/2.4x, DVD-RW:2x/2x, DVD-RAM:2x, DVD-ROM:8x, CD:24x/10x/24x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Total Size [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Primary IP Address [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Primary MAC Address 00-0E-35-A1-C0-FF
Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])

Peripherals
FireWire Controller Texas Instruments PCI7x20 1394a-2000 OHCI Two-Port PHY/Link-Layer Controller (PHY: TI TSB41AB1/2)
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - USB Controller [B-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DBM ICH4-M - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-1]
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
Battery Microsoft AC Adapter
Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

i just want to hear sound! thanks so much in advance guys.. any more information needed let me know

List any Problem Devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Thanks for the response.

problem devices:

Mass Storage Controller PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC8F&SUBSYS_8190104D&REV_00\4&16793A72&0&23F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3582&SUBSYS_8192104D&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&11 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3582&SUBSYS_8192104D&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&10 The drivers for this device are not installed.

p.s (if I didnt delete the legacy audio thing and the media controller I think it'll probably be here as well)

sxdiag is attached

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    29.6 KB · Views: 4
A few comments

1. I see from your dxdiag you upgraded to XP SP2. That's good for now :)
You should eventually be running SP3 but i don't think that's your current issue

2. To best of my knowledge "Legacy Audio" are some non-plug and play drivers that came with XP to support some old non-plug and play sound cards. I also don't think is your issue

3. Windows should be able to detect plug and play hardware without drivers. Windows isn't detecting your sound card hardware. I would guess the error you mention in post #1 was Wndows saying no supported hardware detected for the driver you were trying to install?
i downloaded the drivers for my laptop and within the audio file was soundMAX and when i run it it unpacks and i get an error message at the end telling me the drivers were not found and i should reboot.

Things to try
> Take a read [post=1002891]Guide to Troubleshooting Windows Audio and Sound Problems[/post] also explains more about that "mutimedia audio controller"
> Try the Intel Update site. Don't know it would fix your audio but looks like you're also missing video from Intel. in any case worth a shot
> You can check BIOS options as well if onboard sound disabled.. but that option is usually only found on Desktops but is worth a shot

the message came up after the installation finished saying "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again." so im guessing its a driver problem rather than hardware?

It's usually F1 or F2 (but can vary) see HERE

> You have to hit the right F key during the powerup and during that first splash screen. If machine starts showing the Windows starting screen you're too late. Gotta power down and try again

> Be careful to not change any other BIOS option. Just look for something about onboard audio. (tho since you have a laptop - not sure you'll find that option but worth a look)

> Also look at the the BIOS screen. Should tell how to go to the next BIOS screen as BIOS setup is usually multiple screens.

/* edit */
Tap the F key maybe once/twice a second on power up should catch the right moment to enter BIOS setup menu

okay so after fiddling around i entered what i think it was.. it said "phoenix BIOS setup utility" at the top..

however i saw nothing regarding onboard sound drivers or anything of the sort :/.. there were some tabs along the top of the page; boot, security, advanced but nothing there i was looking for..

p.s sorry for such a late reply.. my computer was actuing up.

<snip>p.s sorry for such a late reply.. my computer was actuing up.
No apologies needed :) Things take time and at one point or another we all need to take a break! :D

It was worth a look but wasn't likely onboard audio was a BIOS option for a laptop. I think the sound card failed :( You can google USB sound card to get an idea of cheap/easy sound card options for a laptop - tho means you'd have to connect external speakers)

It also looks like you still have other devices needing drivers. (How are you connecting to network? curious as it appears neither the onboard LAN or wireless drivers are installed)

Many of your onboard devices are from Intel. Start with Intel's update tool

I'd create a System Restore point next.

You also have a TI flash media controller. DriverIdentifier is another good, free tool will probably find a driver for the TI device. p.s. DriverIdentifier may show you many driver updates but i suggest if it "ain't broke, don't fix it" so just install the ones you need for things not working. and create a system restore point so you can always back out if need be

LookinAround I am facing the same problem.. can yu help me pls

the following devices are found to be problem devices

Audio Device on High Definition Audio BusHDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_E721&SUBSYS_10192683&REV_1001\4&3D4E739&0&0001The drivers for this device are not installed.
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset FamilyPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_26831019&REV_10\3&11583659&0&1039
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NICPCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_83481019&REV_02\4&293AFFCC&0&00E0This device cannot start.

Hi Preethi

Could you pls tell me the make and model of your computer? Also which version of Windows are you running? It's usually best to start with the drivers found on computer maker's web site

Back