No sound after trying many fixes inc. driver updates

Deano712

well, i've just reinstalled windows xp on my computer, and i have no sound what so ever, i have tried updating my drivers and that hasnt worked, ive also tried things like going to the device manager and disabling, re-enabling them and that hasnt worked, ive tried looking into the bios, and the hd audio is set to automatic can anyone help please?

and before anyone asks, yes the speakers are plugged in and yes they do work, they were fine before re-installing windows.

my sound is onboard and i own a biostar mcp6pb m2+ motherboard

TIA.

nope ive lost it :/ and i actually went to the site for the motherboard and downloaded the drivers from there, and tried more then once to install them

i think i may have noticed the problem now :) there is more than one version of my motherboard and i think i chose the wrong one, not sure what version it is though! i'll get there in the end hopefully :p

In addition to Everest, you can also do the following can help provide more info as what's up

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so

Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Everest should be able to tell you exactly what sound card you have.

If your new downloaded driver works, great. Otherwise give Everest a try.

Good luck.:)

PS.

Looks like Looking posted a trifle before me.:blackeye:

You are in good hands now.:)

i think i may have noticed the problem now :) there is more than one version of my motherboard and i think i chose the wrong one, not sure what version it is though! i'll get there in the end hopefully :p
OH. Didn't see your last post.

Everest should be able to tell you exactly what sound card you have.
And ravisunny's advice about Everest is spot on :)

You'll only need run those add'l tools should you continue to have problems. We hope no news is good news! :)

Even the same version can often have different revisions. When revision 1.0 comes out and they rush it to market, often customer complaints force then to physically modify the board, and in doing so they move the revision up one (2.0). In that case even the firware can be different and often a firmware update of rev. 1.0 cannot fix the issue since its a physical problem with the board. Its sad, but they will not put the boards revision on the sticker, and often drop the price of 1.0 so low to dump them on the market a deal watcher can get screwed. Buyer beware, the revision is often on the board but not on the box. If the store will allow you to look inside (and often they will) and you have done your research you can find out which revision is on sale. The higher the revision the less bugs a board will have but not all boards will show the bugs. Revision 1.0 may have 1 in 10 boards good and its a shot in the dark if you buy one.

Back