No sound after upgrading to GTX 460

Hey guys. I know there's a lot of these threads with the same problem floating around the web, but I've searched for five hours over the last two days, tried everything I've seen and nothing has worked for me.

My old video card, a Geforce 9600GT finally packed it in and I had to replace it. I decided it was a good time to also reinstall Windows 7 and get rid of my dual booting function which was causing me all kinds of problems. So now I have a fresh install, no dual booting and my Geforce GTX 460 installed. I installed the drivers (all of them, sound included) and then once I'd installed several other things, such as Klite mega codec pack and the latest Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, I restarted and loaded up to see that no audio devices were detected. The playback and recording device listings were completely empty and the device manager listed only 4 "NVIDEA High Definition Audio Device" entries with no reported errors. I've tried uninstalling all drivers for video and audio multiple times and each time I startup again, the four High Def audio devices reinstall themselves from no where and I'm back to square one.

I've looked in the bios for my onboard soundchip, and mine only has an 'auto' and 'disabled' choices, and since auto doesn't cut it, that isn't working. I use a dual monitor setup, one DVI monitor and one VGA monitor with a DVI adapter. I do not use the HDMI slot at all.

Somehow after fiddling around with it, I've managed to make those four entries appear in the playback devices as: "Digital Audio (HDMI)" but now it's stating that it still can't detect any headphones or speakers.

I'd really like some help with this one as I simply have no further idea of what to do. Can anyone assist with this or offer suggestions on how to completely eradicate this HDMI crap and return to DVI display and onboard sound? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

when i had this problem with a different card all i did was disable (not uninstall) the graphics card onboard audio in device mananger then rebooted and it detected my mobo's audio.

Back