No sound found on HP Pavillion dv6618ca

sadaf

Hi all, this is my first time here, so hopefully i will be able to be successful for what i am here

My problem is with my PC NOT having any SOUND at all!......
The sound symbol on the right hand corner of the screen has an X mark over it and when i move the mouse over it, it says "No audio output device is installed"
This is what i tried to fix from reading all the other similar posts on net .....
-I tried to restore my Pc to an Earliest point or b4 this problem occured and it didn't seem to fix the problem at all.
-I went to the HP software/hardware site to install the audio software and it didn't work either, once the installation was about to complete, it would display a message saying "Installation failed. no MEDIA device is installed for this driver.
- I also read people saying go to Device Manager and update the Audio, sound n so on thing, BUT there is no Such thing as audio, or such similar terms to click on and install/update it.
-so i decided to REFORMAT my PC, maybe that will fix it, I even reformatted the PC BUT STILL NO SOUND!!,
-so i tried to go back to the HP's website to install the audio software and it gave the same message again!

I recently spend alot of money trying to get the fan fixed and new battery, now i dont wanna end spending more on this sound (......I am hoping someone would really help me out and i really appretiate it .........thanks a bunch in advance

It almost sounds as though Windows no longer detects a sound card....

Check your BIOS. Is there any setting Enable / Disable Onboard Audio?

Report on any BIOS settings, then Generate a Problem Device report
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

sound problem Hp Pavillion.

Hi, first thank you for your help.

I have tried what you have asked me to do and still no progress, However, this morning when I turned on the PC the sound seemed to work, but as soon I restarted it went back to it's original damaged condition:S......I don't know what's wrong with it. btw I have attached the dxdiag report so hopefully u r able to view it. Also when I go to check for problem devices, nothing appears on that list ??? :s

anyhow thank you so much for all your help, looking forward to your reply :D

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    50.2 KB · Views: 4
Hmmmm....

My best guess: Based on the System Devices listed in your DxDiag report, i don't think Windows is detecting any sound hardware on your computer :(

1) Did you check your BIOS settings? Did you see any option for Onboard Audio??? If so, it should set to to Enable or Automatic. Did you find it? What was it set to?

2) When you thought you heard sound on reboot, did you hear a simple beep? Reason I ask is because Windows doesn't need a sound card to create simple tones. Try the Beepex tool. Download and run it. If your computer has an internal speaker, Windows should be able to generate tones even without a sound card

Double check your BIOS settings first. Then a couple other things we might check but even in worst case,if we discover your sound hardware failed, google something like usb sound card. You should find cheap USB sound adapters should you choose to go that route..

but in case, for now, check your BIOS settings and let me know

/* EDIT */
Oh. And one more thought!
See here for how to view Ghost Devices

Then check Device Manager again.
> Under Sound category, Does your sound card now appear listed as a Ghost device?? (Note that Ghosts have semi-transparent icons)
> Under System Device category , do you by chance see a Ghost device named something similar to "Hi Def Audio Bus "controlller

Advise you don't try uninstalling any Ghost devices, just report back if your sound card now appears

Lost???

Thank you so much for all the help so far. To tell you first that i am a computer illiterate lol so when you say check your bios i have no idea what you are talking about :(. If you dont mind, can you guide me step by step to bios n find the onboard audio. You seem like a life saver! Thank you again :)

forgot to mention in previous post...

I forgot to say that i did download and run the beep file, it does beep when i play it. and that's exactly the sound i am getting when i open a hidden file of my hotmail account, or lets say my anti-virus is expired and when i try to close the window or ignore it, it plays that high pitch beep. I have also followed to check the ghosts devices and the sound/audio name seemed to be there but under description it would say the hardware is missing for it, please plug it or some kind of other error info. If you want i can take a screen print and send it to you. however when I go to device manager through control panel, the sound,audio, video controller does not show there :S.....Hopefully you are able to help further :(.........Thank you

Press F10 to go into BIOS when you turn on the system. Secondly you should be able to find documentation with regard to your BIOS/Setup on HP's support site for your notebook. For the rest, LA is there to help sort things out for you. Regards

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. pleas help me what I do I can listen music it sey I have bad direct saund error code

Please follow LookingAround's instruction in POST # 2 and attach the resulting text file with your next post.

Also, it is always a better idea to start your own thread to get more focused help.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. pleas help me what I do I can listen music it sey I have bad direct saund error code

@Mirjana
To get proper attention and help to your post, please create your own new thread with title specific to your problem. Also, include information about your system specs, like:
> Computer make/model (be specific)
> What verion of windows? what service pack level installed?

@Hi Archean
Thanks for the assist :)

@sadaf
BIOS is what first takes control of your computer and does basic setup. The BIOS setup is then followed by Windows starting up.

As Archean describes, you hit F10 when computer first powers up. For more info on BIOS Setup and moving through setting screens on your HP computer see this manual about Starting Setup Utility and how to move through it.

You only want to look for any option that might apply to your audio (e.g. if something says Onboard Audio).
> Report if you see it or not
> If you see any other you question, let us know as well
> Do NOT change any setting other then Onboard Audio to either ENABLE or AUTOMATIC

(is also possible you won't find an Onboard Audio (or similar) entry. in any case, let us know)

We'll take it one step at a time :)

still no sound....but found onboard audio :)

Thank you Archean for the assist, I followed what you said, I pressed F9 and under the system configuration tab i did see something similar to onboard audio not exactly the same word........I saw language, sound button n 2 other things which iforgot lol..

for the sound button, it already did say "Enabled" so i did not change it to anything else :S

@LookingAround, Thank you bunch as well for all the help so far, hopefully i get this resolved :(..........we'll wait for your reply :)

Hi sadaf

Glad to try and help :) But regret to say, the evidence so far seems to indicate your sound hardware has failed :( I'll explain a bit more and then we can check one more thing..

First, as fyi for yourself or anyone in the future reading this thread (and so I can also refer others back to this explanation in the future :) )
Audio Standards for Windows Computers
Note there are 2 different audio standards for Windows
  • AC97 - was the name of the original audio standard for Windows
  • Hi Def Audio - is the name of current audio standard for Windows computers. As the name implies, it allows for Hi Def audio
For AC97 machines, sound cards will connect directly to the computer's PCI bus (the PCI bus is a high speed computer data bus)
Windows <===> PCI bus <====> AC97 Sound Card
For Hi Def Audio machines, by definition, sound cards may only connect through an Audio controller device
Windows <===> PCI bus <====> Hi Def Audio Controller <===> Hi Def Sound Card
@sadaf: I'm guessing you probably have Hi Def Audio on your computer motherboard. So let's check one more thing in Device Manager. And as an example, I provide a snapshot of my own Device Manager after I've set it to "View Devices by Connection" below. Do the following
  • Open Device Manager
  • At top menu in DevMgr: click View->Devices by Connection.
    ==> When DevMgr is set to "View Devices by Connection" it will display your devices based on how they connect to each other
  • Look the example from my own machine below. Expand the ACPI entries till you get to and expand the PCI bus and look at all the devices connected to it
    • Note in my example: you see PCI bus <==> Hi Def Audio Controller <==> Soundmax Hi Def Audio sound card
    • Now enable your DevMgr to show Ghost devices again
    • Can you now see both the Hi Def Audio Controller AND your old sound card now appearing? AND do they both appear as "Ghost" devices?? (or does just one or the other appear as a Ghost?)
      ==> Also note that: As long as that Hi Def Audio Controller isn't working, Windows cannot see the Hi Def sound card
attachment.php

Attachments

• View Device Connections Hi Def.jpg
    View Device Connections Hi Def.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 22
ummm lost ?

Hi LookingAround,

umm i am kind of confused....sorry to keep interupting ..........

when i expand my PCI Bus, I dont see any audio controller or such things similar, I have taken a screen shot as well just to show you so if you dont mind can you please look at it, as well you said enable device manager and see ghost devices, ....what exactly do you mean by this?

we'll wait for your reply :)

Thank you bunch

ops forgot to attach lol

sorry I forgot to attach the screen shot of dvmgr :)

Attachments

• dvmgr.jpg
    dvmgr.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2
There is most likely something wrong with sound hardware itself, it seems to have failed as I would believe what windows is telling me.

Amazon.com has several deals on cheap USB sound cards ranging from 1 cent up to $50.00 in a variety of speaker setups 2 to 7.1 speakers. Ofcourse the more expensive you go the better the sound will be.

Before installing I would strongly recommend disabling the onboard sound to avoid device conflicts and the problem device will not be taking up any resources. Go back into BIOS to where you found onboard audio use + and - keys to toggle your selection to "Disable". Hit F10 to save and exit. Then install your new sound card and enjoy.

@TristanAnteros
Hi Tristan... :wave:
We're both thinking it must be failed sound hardware. And very helpful instructions :) but sadaf has a notebook computer... so i think they might find it best to get a USB sound adapter (or PCMCIA adapter)

@sadaf
umm i am kind of confused....sorry to keep interupting ..........
No worries :)

> Close Device Manager
> Now go back to directions and link in post #4 to view Ghost devices
/* EDIT */
Oh. And one more thought!
See here for how to view Ghost Devices
> Once Ghost devices are enabled, open DevMgr, set it to View Devices by Connection and look under PCI bus again

comparison of ghosts dvmgr n by connection

Hi,

umm I followed what you said, plus I have attached a screen shot of ghost devices :S......I see my sound listed in ghost devices but not under device manager :S......I guess I do need a USB portable sound :(

Attachments

• ghosts device manager.jpg
    ghosts device manager.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

umm I followed what you said, plus i have attached a screen shot of ghost devices :S......I see my sound listed in ghost devices but not under device manager :S......I guess I do need a USB portable sound :(

Yes :(

And maybe just a curiousity point now (and to show the example) but if you set devmgr to BOTH
> Show Ghosts
> AND click View->Devices by Connection

Check if you see under PCI bus
> Check if BOTH your Hi Def Audio Controller AND the Conexant Hi Def Audio devices are BOTH Ghosts??
> Or only the Conexant Audio is a Ghost?

ghost devices n view by connection

Hi,

I followed what you said and yes I do see both devices listed as seen in the attached screen print :)...

I clicked on conexant HDA and that error code came up in the description, seems like you are right. I guess I do have purchase a sound card lol

Thank you tons for all your help and time :)

Attachments

• ghost device view by connection.jpg
    ghost device view by connection.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
Back