No sound from CD's playing in Windows XP computer disc tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Although Windows Media Player is showing movement waves from rhythm like when the CD plays it is not producing sound through the speakers. This is the same with all my CDs. I know the speakers are fine as I hear any other computer sound i.e. turning on/off and other computer visuals which come with sound.

I have tried to follow a previous answer from the forum board regarding the same problem but this was posted in 2007 and gave instructions for a Windows 97 system. The step by step advice given seemed very useful and which I tried to follow but as my system is Windows XP and not Vista either I could not follow the directions which did not seem to apply to my system so I wonder if there is anyone else who can relate to Windows XP who could give step by step instructions for this system that I could try.

First thing you need to look at is, is the cd audio cable is properly connected with sound board?

No sound from CD's in Windows XP computer disc tray

Hi Archean, thanks for your reply.

I was advised to un-installed the CD/DVD driver and it is now installed again which I hoped would correct the problem but the problem is still there so obviously not that.

I am not sure what you mean by the cd audio cable being properly connected with sound board as the speakers are working correctly and CD's used to play on this computer with the same set up as is now so I don't know what has changed. I don't know whether I have a 'sound board' or not - I don't insert anything or have anything additional put in the computer when it was built. All I know is that when a CD is inserted into the Super Writemaster DVD 'SuperPlus' tray on the computer I get no sound from the CD when the Media Player is operating. I don't have any other cables than the Speaker ones and the speakers are working fine. It wouldn't have anything to do with the Media Player, would it?

In Options Menu of Media Player, check what are the settings for Sound Output; those should be set to use your onboard sound (I am assuming you only have one sound solution in your system, if you have more than 1, then it becomes totally different situation). This article from Microsoft provides general information about various Audio enhancement/settings in Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back