No sound from speakers (headphones got) after shut down

Hello. I'm having a little problem with my speakers. As written in my title, my speakers has no sound. I have went through almost all the related forums on this kind of problems but it seems that almost everyone has problem with the speaker's sound AFTER they installed something or upgraded their software.

after i shut my computer down at night and on it back the next morning, the speakers weren't working and when i play a mp3, avi, rmvb or even youtube, there is no sound at all. However, if i plug in my headphones, they work just fine. Everything else is working fine.
- The light on the speakers is light up
- The wire is plugged into the green hole. It hasn't been moved since about a year ago so i don't think thats the problem.
- The sound card is working fine (There is sound through the headphones)
- There are no conflicting drives.
- There are no exclamation marks or crosses in the device manager.
- My audio isn't mute.

I'm suspecting that my speakers is spoiled. But i'm hoping that someone could help me with it. Because it just doesn't make sense how the speakers could be perfectly fine one moment, and be spoilt after a shut down.

*I can't use systerm restore because when i tried it it says that it couldn't return to the specific time and to solve that problem, i cancel the system restore, shut down and then enable it again.

Edit:
**My speakers does have those buzzing sound (those kind that signals the speakers is on) when i on it and when i off it. Which i presume means that the speaker should be able to work. Or else it wouldn't be making noises like that right? and there are really faint buzzing sounds when the speakers is on. I'm only able to hear it if i put the volume to the max and stick my ear to the speakers. which also shows that it should be able to work right?

Please help. and thank you. :)

When you plug in the headphones are you plugging them into a front panel jack? Try removing the speaker plug from the green jack at the back and plug in the headphones there. If you get sound through the headphones, your sound card is probably okay but your speakers are not.
Because it just doesn't make sense how the speakers could be perfectly fine one moment, and be spoilt after a shut down.
But isn't that the nature of a component failure? It often works fine up until the moment it doesn't. You don't always get a gradual failure. When it fails, it fails.

Edit:
**My speakers does have those buzzing sound (those kind that signals the speakers is on) when i on it and when i off it. Which i presume means that the speaker should be able to work. Or else it wouldn't be making noises like that right? and there are really faint buzzing sounds when the speakers is on. I'm only able to hear it if i put the volume to the max and stick my ear to the speakers. which also shows that it should be able to work right?

Please help. and thank you. :)

if that's the case, try using your installer CD to reinstall sound driver to fix this issue, also have you changed volume to headphones only or some other devices?

"if" you can hear the sound it makes when you lower your volume up or down, then yes your sound is working meaning your speakers are working, must be some sort of bug or change in driver maybe some sort of spyware crap. you can narrow it by installing a new window, just make a partition or if you have another hard drive inside, intall it in there. if sound works perfectly there, well you know what to do.

mailpup : if there is no sound coming from the headphones when i plug it in the green jack means that the sound card is spoilt? And i would have to replace that?

If there is no sound coming from the headphones when i plug it in the green jack, does that mean that the sound card is spoilt? And I would have to replace that?

Yes, that's how I would interpret it. Before you condemn the sound card though, you could try your speakers on another PC, perhaps a friend's. If they work, it's definitely the sound card.

If the sound card is built into the motherboard (aka onboard sound), you can buy a separate PCI or PCI-E sound card to replace the onboard sound.

Edit: @example1013. Yes, it could be the jack. However, most people wouldn't bother trying to replace a sound card jack. IMO, most, including myself, would just buy another card.

It is related but if the rear jack doesn't work for the speakers, wouldn't you want to replace the card? If only part of the card works will you live with it?

yeah, does it also replace the jack?

But thanks for helping. I finally found the problem! Which is the sound card (or part of it). :)

Back