No sound from wireless 5.1 rear speakers

I recently moved my LG LH-SW5100 home theatre system and lost the screw that attached the earthwire for the rear speakers. I replaced it with an ordinary woodwork screw and now the transmitter just clicks and flashes its blue light. Should I be using a particular type of metal screw?

I recently moved my LG LH-SW5100 home theatre system and lost the screw that attached the earthwire for the rear speakers. I replaced it with an ordinary woodwork screw and now the transmitter just clicks and flashes its blue light. Should I be using a particular type of metal screw?

perhaps the 'earth wire' act as an antenna? photos would be useful.

Photo suggestion

I can't get reasonably focussed shots at the moment. I can tell you that the tag on the ground cable reads "Be sure to connect the ground cable to the ground cable connector of this unit by using the supplied hand screw. If this is not connected the transmitter will not function." I have connected the cable in exactly the same place as it was originally but with a different screw. Since I did that, the transmitter just emits loud and regular clicks and no rear speaker sound.

Don't know your LG speakers at all, but woodscrews are tapered, and the 'fixings' in the back of speakers are most likely to be 'machine' screws, (parallel threads), so it's not hard to see how contact between the earth wire and the circuit inside the speaker is not being made. Most common in 'Far East' kit is metric thread, but it could be anything between 3mm to 6mm.

well in that case it confirmed my hunch, the ground cable itself is the antenna that receives the wireless signal. all I can say is, like mike1959 mentioned, you need to get yourself a screw that matches the original screw.

LG possibly designed it such way that the screw needs to be screwed all the way in to provide the wireless signal. that explains why your current screws didn't work.

Back