No sound unless I reboot and then only for a few moments

cableman

I am running windows xp home edition on a Dell Optiplex GX280 desktop but the sound keeps going out. When I try to watch a movie with Nero or one of my other movie viewing software programs I can get sound for a little while and then it goes out. If I reboot it will come back but goes out again.

I have re-installed the audio drivers from my drivers cd but it makes no difference. I am also getting a message that might be related. When I reboot I get a message box that says " Generic host process for win32 service has encountered a problem and needs to close". I haven't installed any new software that I can think of and I can't think of anything else to do to it. I don't want to re-install windows because I have a lot of custom software installed on my computer that would take forever to re-install.

If anyone knows what I need to do please help!!

sounds like an easy fix... just go to Dell's support site and type in the service tag. that should bring up all of the drivers for the computer including the audio drivers. alternatively, you could just browse for the computer model manually but either way you should be able to locate and download the driver package for sound. once that is saved to your computer, run the executable and the drivers will install. restart the computer and post back with the results.

EDIT: Driver is here

Thanks

I am so used to working on things where there is no website support that I forget about it. I had really already installed the audio drivers from the driver disc that came with my computer but something must have worked because I haven't had any more problems with my audio. Now my computer wants to reboot all the time for no reason; but that is another matter and I have it in another post. Thank you for your help.

Back