TechSpot

No sound when playing DVD's?

By jools182
Oct 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How come some dvd's play fine on my machine, and others don't have any sound?
    I know the DVD's are ok because I have tried them on my DVD player, I only get a problem when I am playing them on my PC
  2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Which application are you using to play the DVD's? Which DVD's aren't working?
  3. jools182

jools182 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

I was trying Media Player and real player and the sound didn't work on either
    I played a film from the uk Amazon site fine but another film (which may be from the US) had no sound
    Is it to do with regions or something?
  4. JMMD

I would try something like WinDVD or PowerDVD and see if those work any better. Does the DVD have a DTS sound track?
  5. jools182

jools182 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 114

I don't know what a DTS soundtrack is
    How can you find out?
  6. JMMD

The back cover of the DVD should have the sound tracks listed. It should say something like Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, Dolby Pro-Logic, etc.

PowerDVD and WinDVD can decode this soundtrack. You should be able to get a demo of each just to test it.
  7. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,438

Yeah that would work, what I use is WinDVD for DVDs and it works perfect, it's probably your RealPlayer codec or something
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.