No Sound Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am stumped, I have been trying to get the sound to work on my laptop (think-pad)
The device manager shows no conflicts and I see my sound device so then I tried to reinstall the drivers. It said there is no update available for the drivers. I have been to every forum and I can't find anything to fix the problem.

Please Help,
Brenda

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.13
Memory (RAM): 256 MB
CPU Info: x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 10
CPU Speed: 698.0 MHz
Sound card: Crystal SoundFusion(tm)
Display Adapters: ATI RAGE Mobility (IBM) | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Intel(R) PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport | WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
CD / DVD Drives: D: HL-DT-STRW/DVD GCC-4240N
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 2 Button Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 27.9GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 21.2GB
USB Controllers: 1 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: IBM
Product Make: 2628FS1
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 04/10/02 | PTLTD - 6041070
Time Zone: Central Standard Time
Battery: High
Motherboard: IBM 2628FS1
Modem: Lucent Win Modem

:
:

Any chance you have burned ou the sound by driving to high volumes? Got to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device manager, then see if there are any red or yellow flags anywhere in the device list... on the left side of each device listed.

The A22M is a solid computer. The audio drivers come with Windows XP... so there are no drivers to download.

However, be sure you have the latest BIOS installed (KXET36 WW 1.09)
MediaMatics update 05.01.04.164, Vantage Access Connection, and the Windows Install Supplement.

Do the diagnostics with PC Doctor that comes with the A22m disk set or by download.

Then be sure you have downloaded all Windows XP SP2 updates... ALL... because it is Windows XP that will install and update the audio drivers.

Sorry I cannot be more help... but our shop repairs thousands of Thinkpads, and the A22m is one of the more reliable, trouble free ones.

The only other course I can recommend is to reformat your hard drive, and reinstall everything from the basics and your Thinkpad disk set.... and of course that takes about 11 hours.

Good luck.

I thank you for your response. I have no flags, so how do I get the PC Doctor to work or how do I download it? I'm sorry for you inconvenience.
Thanks,

If your Thinkpad A22M has an <ACCESS IBM> button, press that at any time. PC Doctor will be made available to you, will run a scan, and post the results. I cannot tell you more because I don't have the machine in front of me. Or you can download the files and run them. They are:

1rt107ww.exe 1,207,889 PC-Doctor for DOS (Disk 1 of 5)
1rt207ww.exe 1,396,405 PC-Doctor for DOS (Disk 2 of 5)
1rt307ww.exe 1,362,709 PC-Doctor for DOS (Disk 3 of 5)
1rt407ww.exe 1,448,471 PC-Doctor for DOS (Disk 4 of 5)
1rt507ww.exe 1,422,837 PC-Doctor for DOS (Disk 5 of 5)
1rt107ww.txt 5,336 README for PC-Doctor for DOS
or

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52871

or if you don't want to update the whole program:

PC-Doctor for Windows CMOS diagnostic patch
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52207

There are many utilities out there to test hardware, PC-Doctor is a good one. You will also find instructions on how to test the hardware in the IBM hardware maintenance manual, which you can get from IBM/ Lenovo's site, or from this site: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/08/29/ibm-thinkpad-hardware-maintenan...
This site also offers some of the other tools used for testing hardware.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back