No sound with XP reinstall and m-audio 2496

Status
Not open for further replies.
evening,

I could use a hand with this. I did a wipe and reinstall of XP (not sp2). AMD Sempron.

Same hardware including the M audio Audiophile 2496 card which had worked fine. After the reinstall no sound. I downloaded installed drivers for the sound card and card shows up in device manager as working properly but no sound. In the M audio control panel is registers input in the "mixer inputs". I am finding that the "universal serial bus controller" has the yellow exclamation point. Could this be part of the issue? I've been looking but not sure how to go about locating the driver. My motherboard CD won't install one from Windows.

In "sounds and audio devices" the card shows but in "sounds and audio devices properties" the volume and speaker controls are disabled.

Thoughts? Is is the card, driver, etc?

thanks

Bob H

Hey BobH

Your motherboard CD should have all the required drivers for your system on it - audio, USB etc... what do you mean by "My motherboard CD won't install one from Windows"? .... Also, where did you download the drivers for the sound card from? The exclamation mark on your USB controller means that your drivers are not installed correctly or are corrupted. As to your question about whether the USB exclamation mark has anything to do with the audio not working, it's highly doubtful. I believe that the drivers for your sound card are either not installed correctly or are not functioning correctly.

Spyder_1386 :)

morning, Spyder,

Thank you very much for the response. I wasn't clear re the Motherboard CD...I meant that I had thought, as you say, that the CD would have had the USB driver as well. I hadn't had the missing driver issue the the first time around. This time if I click on the yellow'd out USD device and specify the CD as the driver source Windows indicates it aint't there. So I'm not clear on what to do about that. The odd thing is I have a USB devices (mouse) working so I'm a bit lost.

I downloaded the driver from w w w .dontcrack.com/freeware/ . Installed fine and all seemed to work well with it and it would seem to be working fine minus the sound...a downside with a sound card.

So a possibility that the drivers are the issue regardless of if appearances would make me think the card installed ok and not some other problem?

thanks again for your help

Bob

hey again BobH

Before your format did you have Service Pack 2 installed? And do you have it installed right now? According to your initial post, I don't believe that you do. I stand corrected, but I don't believe that Service Pack 1 was compatible with USB 2 slots or drivers. Try installing that and your audio drivers again and see if that helps.

Spyder_1386 :)

afternoon, Spyder...

thanks again for your help. Nope, SP2 was not installed and is not now either. For various reasons I'm not going to be doing the update so I have to work with what I have.

I had USB active and working before the reinstall....to tell the truth not sure if that USB device had been yellowed out but I doubt it.

So the idea would be to reinstall the drivers and see what's what I guess. I also have a feeling that something else is going on but I'll do as you suggest and take it from there.

thanks again and I'll shoot a message here after I do the driver reinstall.

Bob

hey Spyder,

I got the sound working. As you suggested I uninstalled the card in device manager and did nothing more than restart the machine. The issue is that the m-audio card is not being recognized in device manager so I assume there are generic Windows drivers in place right now.

For the time being I'm leaving it alone but I'll get back to it shortly and see what I can do.

thanks again

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back