No speakers

ok, I'm attempting to set up sound for my mother's pc. problem is she doesn't own speakers, she does have a microphone headset but i can't seem to figure out a way to use them instead. Is it even possible?

Absolutely

Yes, you can use your Mother mic/head set combo without the presence of computer speakers.

Normally, when setting up (on-board) sound off of a motherboard, that jack connection for a headset or head phone will be located on the front of the computer case. If your case and system are real (old school) that connection jack might not be in the front, you may have to plug in the head set in the back of the unit, where the regular computer speakers would jack into. The jack will most likely be color coded in (green). The (green) jack is where you will want to plug in the head phone portion of the head set into. That is if your Mothers head set has (two) plug in's on it, one will be colored (pink) and one will either be colored (black) or (green), that black or green one is the plug you want to jack into the computers on-board sound adapter.

But if your Mothers head set is kind of on the (new school) side, it just might be an (all in one) and connect via a USB 1.0 or 2.0 port. If that is the case, just make sure all your Mothers on-board sound drivers are in order, plug in the USB head set and rock out!

Departing, it might be a good idea sometime in the future to purchase her an inexpensive set of basic computer speakers, they can be found anywhere!

Good luck.................:)

Well if the (drivers) are the issue, if you can, find out what type of audio solution your Mother has and try to look that up on-line, normally just a Google search will do. Find the drivers and install them, either as a (first time download) or just an (update), just dump them where they belong and try to set up the sound again.

Remember my advise to you is (only) in regards to the computers sound solution and not the head set. Unless the head set is real (new school) and has options galore and connects via a USB port, drivers for a head set then are not required.

lets just deal with (sound drivers) and not worry about (head set drivers) for an (old school) set like your Mothers, for they aren't available, for their non existent.

well i'm not sure what you mean but i pulled up the device manager and under the sounds, video and game controllers it has this:

Audio Codecs
Audio Codecs(not a typo, it is listed twice)
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

Well it looks like your Mothers computers already have (sound drivers) installed, for if it didn't, you wouldn't be getting information like that. Maybe a simple little (up date) needs to take place. How long has it been since the computer was (up dated)? If that answer is unknown, than that's no biggy, just search the internet for your Mothers sound solution.

Maybe I can help out with this as well, what is the make and model of your Mothers computer? H.P., Compaq, IBM, Dell, Gateway, Asus, Sony.....ect., what is it? And a big help here would be knowing what type of computer processor the computer is using. For if it's an Intel family chip, normally Intel likes to use Intel for both processors and audio and video solutions when building it's computers.

sorry it took me so long to answer....it's a dell, with intel pentium 4 processor
i just realized while looking at the device manager.....it's not recognizing any audio output devices, including the headphones

Back