Inactive No system restore, no add/remove progs, system32.dll not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surkitz

experienced pc user here with a doosey of a problem. lately i have been trying to solve problems with my old windows xp 32 bit pc. first off is Vipre antivirus worth a darn? anyway, at some point my virus scan caught several trojans and deleted them.

after a system restart i noticed the virus shield in the lower right isnt showing up and i cant access the virus program through normal icon clicks. After several attempts and other tries i decided to do a fresh re install of the program. Well, in control panel, i cant access add/remove programs.
I get this:

"c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe" Application Not Found.

i tried accessing through safe mode and using run command but same result.

OH and for kicks, i cant access system restore. when i click it, it opens a box that says open with which program: recommended- internet explorer.

again, im not novice, so yes ive already thought about the 8 step process, but i cant download files like malware bytes, gmer, etc. so this has bested me to say the least. Any ideas before i think of a fresh windows install?

Can you download anything, or the block is limited to security tools?
Do you have another working computer available?

Please download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Vista users:: Right click on SystemLook.exe, click Run As Administrator
  • Copy the content of the following box into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :filefind
    rundll32.exe
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. Please post this log in your next reply.
Note: The log can also be found on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

well Broni, thats the problem, no other system(at least for now) . this is one instance i wish i had a laptop. i used to have a backup pc for things like this.

ive never seen anything like this. i can get on the internet but i cant download and save, cause once i click "save as" it just opens up this plain looking box that says open with: internet explorer, paint, and a few other nonsense items that have nothing to do with a .exe

side note: i was able to locate the system32dll file manually by looking in the windows folder in MY COMPUTER. but, it has a page icon and says "unavailable" when i click it.

ill try and get ahold of another system and see if i can try your option

thanks

See, if you have very same problems in Safe Mode with Networking.
Do you have only one browser installed?

Eventually, we'd need another working machine to do some downloads, create helpful CD, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back