No video and No pc led

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgreen5s

Simply put, when I boot up my computer, there is no video on my monitor.

I initially thought that the video card was the culprit so I removed it and plugged my monitor into the integrated video port, which didn't work. I'm really out of options here, there are no identifiable beeps, the only other thing peculiar is that the PC led surrounding the power on button doesn't light up when I turn on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds as if you no power supply.
When you power on the machine, you should get at least 1 beep.
With the lid off, do the fans start when you press the power button?

AlbertLionheart said:
It sounds as if you no power supply.
When you power on the machine, you should get at least 1 beep.
With the lid off, do the fans start when you press the power button?

Yes the fans and hard drives are spinning, by no noise I meant no beeps to diagnose the error

If no beeps then I would suspect maybe memory.
Power off.
Take the side of the case off.
Take out the memory modules and restart - if you get a string of beeps thats what it is (memory). Power off.
If no beep, take out the graphics card and reboot - again if you get a string of beeps put the memory back and reboot. Power off
Put it all back and reboot - it might work as a result of this cleaning the contacts.
Tell us what you get

Remove and re-seat everything, including ram and processor, see if that makes any difference.

Insure there is no power to your pc when you do this.

I removed both the ram modules and rebooted and oddly enough there were no beeps. Then I cleaned the contacts and reinserted them, still no luck. I also removed the video card, reset the bios, and plugged the monitor into integrated video to no avail.

no beeps with no RAM and no graphics card installed is not a good sign.
Do you have any other cards installed such as an internal modem/sound card/etc??

If the CMOS battery was kaput it would not stop the POST beeps.
Last check would be to take the motherboard out and try it off the chassis just in case there is a short to earth somewhere. Like a mounting lug. One of my favourites.

AlbertLionheart said:
If the CMOS battery was kaput it would not stop the POST beeps.
Last check would be to take the motherboard out and try it off the chassis just in case there is a short to earth somewhere. Like a mounting lug. One of my favourites.

No luck :(

So I suppose the motherboard just died?

From what you say it is either the motherboard or the PSU. You need to get your hands on another PSU or a PSU tester to eliminate one or the other. Either is possible - but then it could also be the fuse in the mains cable.

I suspected it was the psu earlier so I replaced it with a psu of higher wattage. So at least I know the motherboard's at fault

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back