No video no boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here it is
have my machine running great with xp.
have friends machine with no video or booting up. i have replaced motherboard with a new one and still no boot up or video...
i have installed complete mb (not working) into my pc and still no bootup. i have changed mem. hard drive with my and still no go. changed power supp. and no go. the only thing i can not do is change cpu's because of diff. sockets. i have no speaker on mb so i cann't tell beeps or not.
the last thing that i can think of is the cpu is bad. i have removed and replaced cpu and no go .....
what all do you guys think it is CPU..
thanks
allen

Too early to blame the CPU, as they seldom fail, and you have not told us enough to make useful suggestions. You have replaced everything that makes a difference, except the hard drive, it appears.
I assume you cannot boot to an install disk, but can you?
What is the brand and model of computer or motherboard, how is it configured? What is the power supply? Hard Drive? Memory brand and name?
My feeling is that you are missing something very fundamental... motheboard, power switch, or power supply connected incorrectly, bad cable somewhere...

What happens when you start with only power supply, one memory module and simple bootable device such as floppy or minimal hard drive with Windows 98 installed from another computer. That is a very good test.
What happens when you use existing hard drive in another box? Does it work. Do others works in another system
Does your heat sink have too little, or too much thermal paste?

boot

well the pc is a emachine mb 7207 2- 256 mem. 180 hard drive.
replacement new motherboard is a ASUS A8N-VM Socket 939 with 2 new mem..
cpu is a amd 3400.
hard drive i have put in my pc and works fine. i have taken my hd and put in emachine and no boot up. i have taken power supply from my pc and installed in the emachine and no good. i have switched everything around from pc to pc and no boot up on emachine.

whats the other machine?

did you double check you have power running to the processor? are you trying to put all your stuff into the e-machine?

Did you take the cpu - an amd 3400 - out of the eMachine. If so, that is your problem. Just replace the CPu with one that is intended to work with the ASUS board..

boot

well i got it to boot up and run. its the dimm socket thats not working.
i have 4 dimm sockets A-1 and A-2 (blue) B-1 B-2 (black) the A-2 socket doesn't work. if i installed the 2 -512 mem i have . it will not boot. if i remove the stick out of A-2 it boots but i only have 512 mem.
i have tried to install the 2 sticks in the black sockets and no boot. i have tried 2 other sticks and still no good in that socket.
allen

Take a long look with a magnifying glass and a strong light... Look for debris in the slot, and carefully look for bent or torn places long the length of the memory socket... anything out of the ordinary is suspect. Take your time and use a lot of care. Be sure you have missed nothing.
Then examine again with the memory installed, to be certain it is fully inserted and has not shifted to the right or left... look for any anomaly.
Look for cracks, bubbles, or bends in the motherboard material... look at all the little round barrell-like devices to assure than none of them are not bulging, split, or leaking a browning dust.
Try the memory in another machine if you have any friend that uses such memory to be sure the problem is not just defective memory.

boot

will check the socket like you said. i have 4 other sticks of the same specs. in my pc and have tried in the other mb and still no go on that socket.
i figured i could install the 2 sticks in the black sockets but that doesn't work either. so right now im just using the one blue socket with 512 mem.
thanks
allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back