TechSpot

No video output in new build

By chinmokuchibi
Oct 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

I just recently built a custom PC with the following parts:

1. ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
    2. XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    3. COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
    4. AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX
    5. G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT
    6. Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    7. HannsĀ·G HZ201HPB Black 20" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
    8. SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C - OEM
    9. Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

I assembled everything (I have had experience building PC's in the past, no problems)

So upon boot, I get an error message on my monitor saying "No input detected"
    The monitor is connected via HDMI to the graphics card.

All of the case fans and LED's are running. The cpu fan and the graphics card fan is running. The optical drive opens and closes no problem.

So here are the things i try:
    1. Connect monitor to another pc via VGA, works fine
    2. Switch graphics card to another PC with bigger PSU, connect via DVI, no problems

I have no idea what could be wrong. Please help. Let me know if you need some more info. Could it be a CMOS issue?

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

You have to go into windows via dvi and use your control panel settings. W/E the equivilent for nvidia control panel is for ati and specifically designate hdmi to be used. My brother had to use a different monitor all together to do this process. Using the dvi monitor kind of as the "host," while booting into windows then plugging up his new monitor via hdmi. Place correct settings then restart. Hope this helps.

3. chinmokuchibi

chinmokuchibi TS Rookie Topic Starter

No, see I cannot even get to anything that requires the screen as there is no output. The screen stays black and goes into standby

4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

You need to use another monitor to set it up via dvi/vga.

5. jxdang

jxdang TS Rookie

Let me start out by asking if you have the latest catalyst driver installed for your video card? So you've verified that the video card works on another pc at least using the DVI port. Have you tried that on your new pc (connecting the monitor to the video card via DVI) to see if that works. Maybe you have a bad HDMI port on the video card or monitor.

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

If all else fails, beg, borrow, or steal, a 17" CRT, plug it in via "VGA" (D-Sub), if that doesn't light, the video card's probably busted.

When it hits the fan like this, your options are limited. You did eliminate the monitor as a potential problem by hooking it up to another PC. So, you should also use process of elimination by installing the video card into another PC.

I even hate to ask this, but you did plug the 6 pin power adapter into that video card, didn't you?

Smash, I think that Hanns-G monitors only have VGA and HDMI. Not sure though.

A bizarre miss-setting of the Video driver would issue an, "out of range" warning.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.