No Video Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a computer I built two years ago. It was working fine. I run it 24/7. I recently bought a laptop, so I turned the PC off for several weeks and when i went to turn it back on, it powered up (all drives and fans), however, there was no signal to the monitor and my front power switch wouldn't work (I checked the jumper settings.)

I tried a different video card that was working in another computer. That didn't help.
I installed a new motherboard - Syntax SV266AD - and rebuilt the system. Now everything powers up ok, and the power switch works on the front, but still no signal to the monitor. Also, I put in a new case fan. When plugged into the MB (3-pin), it won't work (only works when plugged into 4 pin on the power supply).

The computer doesn't beep when turned on.

Here are the system specs: MB - Syntax SV266AD
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2200
Power Supply - Xcase EB-500 (500 W)
Video Card - nVidia 32 mb (standard card)
Any ideas? Please help?
Thanks

Have you checked the PSU? I had one go bad on a PC a few year back and thats what it was. At least thats what the guy at the computer repair store charged me for. Corrected the problem.

Just my 2 cents worth......

Update: Still not working, but I have more information

This morning we checked out a few more things. It turns out that

1) The PSU is fine and all of the voltages are what they should be at

2) The CPU is getting power and heating up (as my burnt finger will show)

3) The CPU speaker doesn't work, which is why I can't hear a "beep" however, when we hooked up a working speaker, it still didn't "beep"

I need this computer for college and I leave in 1.5 weeks and desperately need help. Any ideas on what the problem could be or how to fix it? Thanks.

first thing, if the case fan is not running when you plug it into the 3pin header on the motherboard, this means that the pin headers on the mobo are bad! If you purchased this board new, you need to return it. If this is a used board, check to make sure that the capacitors are not blowing out the tops! If you don't know what a capacitor is, it is the little round parts that look like tiny pop cans. They will be colored on the side and have a silver top. On the top there will be either 3 or 4 little groves. If any of these capacitors look like the top is pushing up, this is most likely the prob. Also check the first mobo for the same problem.
I had a customer that had a system that was always on, but turned it off to go on vacation, came back, and it wouldn't post. It was the capacitors!!!!
Also wanted to mention, you should never had powered it up without a heat sink and fan on the CPU. This can very easily fry an AMD CPU!!!!

If the capacitors look good on both boards, I would see if you have a pal with a AMD CPU. Try that and see if you have any luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back