NOD 32 antivirus download gets timed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

Some help pretty please!

First of all I will confirm that I am not an agent for any of these companies; I am merely trying to get help for my 85 year old Dad who lives in Cyprus!

Dad is also a member of this site under username Joseph King

Both my parents have computers - Dad a PC with Windows XP and Mum an Acer laptop with Windows Vista.

Dad has purchased two NOD 32 antivirus licence keys - one for his PC, which he has successfully downloaded, and one for Mum's laptop. However, when he tries to download the antivirus programme into Mum's computer, the download gets timed out and is unsuccessful. I have asked him whether he has remembered to stipulate that Mum's computer has Vista and he says he has. He has also run the 32 bit programme as against the 64.

He has contacted the Cypriot branch of Eset and they have sent him a link to download the programme but it still doesn't work and, meanwhile, Mum's computer is not protected, yet she is still using it.

I have noted that you have a site for downloading NOD 32 - should he try this site of yours, or is there something he is doing wrong?

What type of internet connection does your Mum have? Broadband or dial-up? This could be an issue.

Is she actually trying to download Nod and save to her desktop rather than running the program from the site? That is important as many problems can be encountered when running from the site.

First this though is to get some AV protection on the machine. Here are recommendations- they are free and one should be used until she gets the Nod protection on the system:

Once she is protected, run a full system scan. It is possible that there may be malware on the system preventing the Nod download.

Once that has been done, have her try the Nod download again: SAVE to the desktop but don't run yet. Let me know if she can get this far and I will then instruct you in how she should make the AV change without being without protection.

I would also like to know if she had an AV program running prior to the Nod attempted download. What was it? It may be likely that malware has infected the system.

Dad finds downloading one programme daunting, let alone running the 8-steps.

They are on a dial up connection as far as I know. If Mum's computer runs through Dad's with a wireless connection and Dad's computer goes into screen saver mode, could this also affect the download into Mum's computer?

My partner and I went out to Cyprus April last year and Dad had paid for a NOD 32 licence and thought he was protected without having downloaded the programme. I did this for him and put the same licence key number in Mum's computer as well so that she was also protected. This licence has of course expired. I don't know off by heart how I did this, but I left Dad with some instructions, which he cannot find. As far as I know, they have only had NOD 32 installed in both computers. He knows about uninstalling them and has done this.

I have copied your questions and answers into an email to Dad and suggested that he post a reply below mine under this heading, or tell me and I will tell you. I think he's been saving the programme on the desktop. I told him to open it and Run it but he says it doesn't give him that option.

Along with bobbye's excellent questions go over to ESET's official forums www.wilderssecurity.com and you'll notice you are not alone in download problems. I love NOD32 (70 million other people do as well) but every time they release a new version they have problems and eventually straighten it out.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions but Dad has now phoned me to say he has managed to download the programme successfully.

He had got both licence numbers in emails to his computer. When he spoke to me, I had suggested he open one of these emails and forward it to Mum's computer. Open the email there and click on the Eset connection to download through the email. He did this and it worked, so we don't need any more help.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it got set up.

For the future, since it is a dial-up connection and time makes a big difference, if the program itself can be downloaded and saved to the desktop, you can disconnect from the internet connection to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back