Noisy laptop - Toshiba Equium A210

Hodsocks

Not sure if you guys can help but I will ask anyway, I have a Toshiba Equium A210 laptop and its making a repeated clicking noise from the speakers. When you first turn the laptop on it is quiet but within 30secs it starts clicking, initially quite slow then it speeds up until its almost a continuous noise. I have muted the speakers and disabled the sound card but still no success. I have tried connected a headset but still the clicking, I have also noticed that if I am in the BIOS it is clicking there as well.
I feel that its probably dodgy speakers but what do you guys think.

It sounds more like a fan to me tbh.

Has it been dropped, or squashed, or had a heavy impact with anything recently?

Its probably the fan hitting the shroud inside the case, and definitely needs a quick inspection to see the cause before using further, as the fan failing could destroy it.

The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the fan but from both speakers, my initial thought was maybe fan but it seems less localised than from fan area.

It would be very unusual for it to be the speakers, and tbh the design of most motherboards and component layouts on laptops can give very misleading impressions.

Best case either way is to hunt out a service manual for it online, and strip it down to find the problem and correct it.

Hodsocks:

For some odd reason that noise that you described isn't coming from your speakers, but rather your secondary cooling fan located almost in the middle of the two speakers on the motherboard. How do I know this? I have a Toshiba x205 dual SLi lap top computer, and my secondary cooling fan is located almost dead center of where my 4 speakers are located, occupying the same open area as the mount points for the speaker system. I had this same problem about a year ago, thought the sound was coming from the speakers, but it was coming from a slow starting but after a while a continues steady sound, very close to that clicking noise your are talking about.

Sound for the most part, when created, it likes to escape, the speakers are the closest thing to an escape point for that sound, because it rides the material that the speaker is made out of and escapes the computer, there for you hear the sound! When I was going through this, I told a friend and he recommended some me using some (3 in 1) oil, just dab it where the shaft of metal exits the motor area, the shaft that the plastic fan blades are attached to, drop one or two drops around the shaft, let it take it in for about 10-15 minutes before turning the computer on, and you will be right as rain!

Mind you, you have to open up your lap top to do this, so keep track of all those screws and just be mindful of what you touch! And by chance if the sound ever was to return, just remember where you placed that (3 in 1) oil! :)

Back