Nokia CEO: Microsoft to pay us billions, I am not a Trojan Horse

By Emil
Feb 14, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, a former Microsoft executive, is defending the company's decision to switch to Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform and cut thousands of jobs. He told analysts and industry players that apart from the benefits of the alliance that have already been explained, Microsoft is paying Nokia billions of dollars as part of the deal.

Read the whole story
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,988   +66

I am not sure what all the fuzz is about frankly. Business make decision based upon their own priorities; and one major factor in such cases is will it make them stand out in crowed, i.e. give them some sort of differentiation or advantage. Hence, jumping on the Android bandwagon would not have given them this, it would have only meant one thing and that is they would have been another company in the crowed of so many; whereas, if MS really delivers on WP7's promising foundation and keep improving it, and is giving some preferential treatment to Nokia, they will only need to ensure that they are delivering a solid hardware platform and OS integration to go with it.
  3. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 480   +8

Microsoft:if you can't be better, just be everywhere.
  4. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

The article says he moved from Microsoft from Nokia. I believe it should read from Microsoft to Nokia.
  5. Jumping on the Android bandwagon would have only allowed to sell lots of phones. Why would they want to do that when they can be distinguished? Good luck with Microsoft, hopefully you will be wearing your pants around you waist, not your ankles.
  6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,988   +66

Hey Princeton, hope all is well at your end.

I just dumped the default launcher on SGS, and switched to Go Launcher EX, and interestingly for the last (almost) 24 hours I haven't experienced any crash or slow downs .......
  7. imagine WebOS on Nokia phone if they would have bought the Palm ...
  8. Who cares? Nokias' day has come and gone.
  9. I bet the billions he's referring to are from discounts on MS royalties.
  10. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,363   +260

I think this is a good move from Nokia, Nokia easily makes some of the best hardware in the smartphone market, now they will have a software partner to go with it and make their phones truely unique and all the while WP7 will become rather popular.
  11. Previously, Nokia said the deal was worth "Billions" because they would be saving that much in R&D and marketing. This looks like a carefully re-worded statement to make people think Microsoft will be writing Nokia a check.
  12. Tina well said I think its a great deal hoping these two giants would come up with something great.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfWFvCJJaNs
  13. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Dude, Nokia is freaking huge in some parts of the world. And I think that is what Microsoft really aims at: being everywhere, or at least being very big. By cooperating with Nokia, Microsoft can insure a bigger "existence" on the market.

Considering the amounts of Nokia cellular phones being manufactured and sold each day, I think Microsoft has gone and made themselves a pretty neat deal.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.