1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Nokia intros 3D printer kit, create custom shell for Lumia 820

By Rick ¬∑ 6 replies
Jan 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It looks as though Nokia hopes to take the idea of customer personalization to an entirely new level. Today the phone-maker published what is being called a 3D-Printing Development Kit, empowering anyone with access to right kind of 3D printer to...

Read more

2. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 750   +368

Not many of you would likely know this, but a professional 3d printer takes roughly 8 hours to make a small model. It adds plastic in increments of 1/10,000 of an inch, so it takes a really really long time to make things. Besides that, it's about $40k for a nice professional grade 3d printer that is capable of using plastic that is fairly durable. Making one phone case would likely take around 10-12 hours using high quality plastic.

3. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Enthusiast Posts: 97   +18

True. Still, I like the idea. It's innovative, and you can't dream of a better way to personalize your phone.

4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 750   +368

Fair point, but I don't see why I couldn't just pay $10 and get a custom case already. There are plenty of companies willing to put whatever design you want on a case, and they can have the case shipped to you in a day, which is pretty much just as fast as printing the case yourself.

5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

The idea in and of itself is very inticing. To be able to print out anything you can get a design for. Maybe in 30years everyone will have a 3D printer. At that point if you broke a spatula you wouldnt need to run to the store, just print one out. A nice idea but I fear the human creature will find ways to use this technology to make more then your average soup ladel.

6. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 279   +42

How long will it take me to print out a neutron bomb?

7. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 428   +44

You have just become a person of interest ;)