Nokia Lumia 900 has software glitch, exchanges and credits offered

Leeky

Finnish phone maker Nokia launched their new range topping Lumia 900 smartphone on US shores Easter Sunday, but almost immediately problems began surfacing involving connectivity issues. The company has now addressed these and promises a software update to resolve the bugs by April 16.

In a statement titled "putting people first" Nokia said, "Soon after this flagship device began selling, we identified a software issue. In short, a memory management issue was discovered that could, in some cases, lead to loss of data connectivity. This issue is purely in the phone software, and is not related to either phone hardware or the network itself. [...] As a proactive and prudent measure, we decided to take immediate action. We have identified the issue, and have developed a solution."

The phone maker's near immediate response to consumer complaints surrounding the new Windows-based smartphone is a breath of fresh air. It's not unusual to see post-launch software glitches in new devices, but the speed in which the criticism has been answered is commendable. Apple in particular has proven time after time the complete opposite by ignoring and denying overwhelmingly bad publicity in the face of launch-related issues with iPhone's and iPad's for example.

In order to provide a solution to affected users, Nokia says they will offer every purchaser two options. You can either wait until April 16 for a software update via Zune to resolve the issue, or you can return your Lumia 900 and swap it for a new updated handset.

As a further gesture of goodwill and at considerable cost to the firm, Nokia has also announced they will send a $100 credit to customers' AT&T bills for any person who has already purchased the handset, or any that purchase it between now and April 21.

So those who wish to go ahead and purchase it before the April 21 deadline can now purchase the new smartphone and receive a full refund on the $99.99 contract purchase price for a limited time, making the deal even more attractive.

Permalink to story.

Ironically, Nokia was running an ad campaign "Smartphone Beta Test is Over" referring to other smartphones as beta tests for the Lumia 900. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Kudos to them for coming up with a quick fix and refund, though.

Here's the ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elqLDSt36k

Wow, go Nokia! This sort of thing is why competition is so great. They're going way out of their way to get your business. When a company makes a mistake and says, 'Sorry for the inconvenience' It sure feels more geniune when they send $100 along with it.

If TomTom put there GPS App on this phone I would be all over this right now.

I used to be a massive Nokia fan, this is one step in the right direction to bring me back :)

article said:
This issue is purely in the phone software, and is not related to either phone hardware or the network itself. [...] As a proactive and prudent measure, we decided to take immediate action. We have identified the issue, and have developed a solution."
You might recall that Nokia has partner with Microsoft for the software and Nokia's contribution is the hardware :grin:

And you might be aware that no other windows phone have a problem like this, so it's obviously in the firmware...or in other words.....software.

Guest said:
All I can add is HA! HA! to all the people who bought one.

If that’s all you had to add I’m not sure why you bothered. To all the people who bought one I say they are lucky to have such a nice phone and I am sure they can hang in there for four days till a fix is released. I just wish I was getting one within the next 4 days ;)

Back