Nokia Lumia sales likely topped 1 million in 2011

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Early estimates indicate that Nokia likely sold 1.3 million Lumia handsets globally by the end of 2011. Sales figures aside, the data is great news for all involved as Nokia looks to rebuild investor confidence after an especially difficult year that saw the handset manufacturer lose $19 billion in value and their shares fall 52 percent.

Bloomberg arrived at the 1.3 million sales figure by combining estimates from 22 analysts with figures ranging from a low of 800,000 to a high of 2 million. Only one analyst predicted sales under 1 million.

nokia lumia sales topping million debut respite stock nokia lumia sales

Former Microsoft executive and current Nokia CEO Stephen Elop is betting the house on the company’s new Lumia line of smartphones that run Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system. The duo announced the partnership in February 2011 as part of a deal that saw Nokia’s Symbian OS become a franchise platform and Windows Phone OS become the primary platform moving forward.

Sales of Lumia smartphones could reach as high as 3.2 million units this quarter with heavy support from Asian markets. Estimates from Morgan Stanley indicate that 2012 total sales could eclipse 37 million units.

The Lumia line was on display at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas earlier this month where the device picked up 13 awards. We were particularly impressed with the Lumia 900 that was introduced just one day before the show started as it featured the same sturdy feel as its predecessor (the 800) and was able to handle Windows Phone with ease.

Permalink to story.

Well that just goes to show you, if you market crap, it will sell.

Guest said:
Well that just goes to show you, if you market crap, it will sell.
Yeah, cause the award givers at CES were marketed to... all 13 of them. Clearly, they should have come to you first for the real scoop cause you've got so much street cred, "Guest".

burty117 said:
Has any of the above Guests actually used one of these? Actually don't answer that...

I don't think so as such they used many smartphones with different operating systems ........

yep if you market crap it sure sells.....i mean come on look at the iphone :)))

on January 24, 2012
1:09 PM

Good luck to all those who bought one.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 800, ..not that I'm a Windows Fan Boy. (but, Yes! I have always loved Nokia Hardware)

I must say it been better then the Android and iPhone4 I recently used.

The credit not only goes to Nokia for sleek design on a perfect hardware, ...but I just realized the Windows Phone is an Amazing OS! ...the Touch is much smooter then any other smartphone out there. It's simply fast and has a Great Design. ...you MUST use one. ...you'll Love the LIVE Tiles.

I'm Very Impressed with what I have.

If this is the 1st product from Microsoft-Nokia Partnership, ...i think these guys will go a long way.

Back