TechSpot

Nokia receives $1.35 billion grant to further develop graphene

By Shawn Knight
Feb 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Nokia has been awarded a $1.35 billion, 10 year grant from the European Union to further develop graphene for practical applications. The 2D super material is just a single atom thick yet according to the Finnish handset maker, it’s the...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,966   +389

What does it mean by 300 times breaking power? compared to a 2d (single layer) atomic bond of steel?

How expensive is graphene to produce currently?

Nima304 likes this.
  3. havok585

havok585 TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +19

Let the REVOLUTION begin !!

4. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 375   +43

Can Intel make processors out of graphene instead of silicon? Forget 22nm, let's go to 1nm processes.

5. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 306   +37

I'd also like to know how expensive it is to make.

6. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Rookie

first graphene is not a semiconductor ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_materials )
    second assuming that DNA is 2nm wide I don't think that we are going to get to 1nm any time soon

7. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Rookie

ya I am an ***** sorry don't listen to me

8. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 273   +77

Going to assume the non engineer means ' shear ' where he said 'breaking '..

9. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Booster Posts: 375   +43

10. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

This is all well and good, but there's a world of difference between making something in a lab and making it commercially possible. It's not uncommon for the manufacturing of something to be more complicated than discovering the stuff in the first place.

For example, synthetic diamonds may someday be used to make almost everything. They conduct heat and electricity better than anything else, and are far stronger and lighter than steel. If you read about them, you get the impression it's about as perfect a substance as water. If we could only figure out how to make them faster and cheaper.

"Graphene will have the same impact as iron and silicon?" Iron and Silicon exist in nature, Graphene needs to be manufactured. Plastic might be a more accurate analogy, but we already dig for oil for other purposes.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.