Nokia Situations: make your phone aware of its environment

Emil

Staff

Nokia Beta Labs has introduced an experimental app for the company's mobile platform that tells the phone how you want it to behave in a given situation. The idea behind Nokia Situations is simple: you want your phone to act differently under certain conditions, but you don't want to have to always set the same profiles manually when your phone can do so by itself.

The application determines certain conditions based on a variety of parameters like time, GPS location, what networks you're connected to, WLAN status, and so on. To enable the device to act on any given situation, users have to configure the application to watch for certain conditions in any sort of combination, such as specific time periods, active days, calendar events, a nearby location, your current location, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connections, and more. Once the conditions are met, the app will trigger a variety of phone settings, including silencing the ringer or changing the ringtone, answering missed calls via an automatic SMS, turning Bluetooth on or off, changing the theme or wallpaper, and automatically opening an app or changing the device mode.

The new app works on a wide range of Nokia devices, including the N97/97 mini, Symbian 3 devices, S60 (3rd Ed., Feature Pack 2), Nokia C6-00, Nokia 5228, Nokia 5230, Nokia 5230 Nuron, Nokia 5235 Comes With Music Edition, Nokia 5250, Nokia 5530 XpressMusic, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, and Nokia X6-00 phones.

Permalink to story.

I tried to download, they asked to register..Don't trust Nokia, nor Intel so ..good bye!

great idea except i prefer the phone to sense the noise level thru the mic. that way when i'm in silent places (i.e. library) it should trigger the silent mode by itself. and when i'm on noisy street, let the ringtone be at max vol.

This idea is EXACTLY like Sony Ericsson did in previous years. My 3 year old Sony Ericsson mobile have this feature.

Back