Nokia sues LCD manufacturers for price fixing

By Matthew
Dec 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nokia has filed suit in the US and UK against display makers Samsung, LG, Philips, Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi, and Chunghwa for price-fixing. The manufacturers are accused of illegally conspiring to raise the prices of LCDs. As a result, Nokia said it paid too much for displays, and is seeking compensation. Damages supposedly include products sold between January 1, 2006 and at least December 11, 2006.

Read the whole story
  2. klepto12

klepto12 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,364   +9

i feel that a lot of company's are doing this but are just getting away with it im glad someone is doing something about it. If only someone would do something about gas prices then my life would be good lol.
  3. lfg18

lfg18 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

The important thing about this is that we all will benefit from this, if they are really fixing the prices we will be the ones who pay, that is not cool, I hope actions are taken against this, in that way, prices will be lower. LCDs for everybody!!!!!!! at a lower price jaja
  4. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Newcomer, in training Posts: 84

Yeah, first Apple and now others too - Nokia is on fire :D Now if they would only use the money to better their phone's specs (almost all of them are lacking in CPU power...)
  5. timljh

timljh Newcomer, in training Posts: 33

I am hoping to get a new LCD, lets pray for the price drop =P
  6. Heretic

Heretic Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

It hardly surprises me that some corporations in America are finding ways to price gouge the economies of countries besides our own. I'm glad Nokia had the guile to bring this to light, and set a few accounts straight.

Moreover, LCD displays are about to get cheaper. :D
  7. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,020   +87

Since the year in which Nokia bought the LCD's is 2006 we will most likely see no price cuts from this.
    But like everybody here, i'm hoping for some price cuts.
  8. dellz

dellz Newcomer, in training

price cuts , is that what peopel are really hoping for in thier lives , seriously i understand why nokia would sue a conspiracy like this , tho nokia itself is mass manufacturer i belive its one company with a conscious , tho it still thinks a lot about itself (more money money money) nokia treats their costumers with some respect.
  9. kaonis92

kaonis92 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

It's good to see that Nokia is trying to do something about these price cartels.
  10. swilllx2p

swilllx2p Newcomer, in training Posts: 133

It's really sad that a lot of companies seem to see shady business tactics as a everyday way of doing things. It's even sadder to sit and think about how much greed and selfishness has taken over. I'm glad that Nokia is taking a stand, though I doubt it'll make much difference in the big picture of these kinds of things.
  11. ColdPreacher

ColdPreacher Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

Im glad to see a large company take a stand against these companies.

12. ryan29121

ryan29121 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 182

Everyday we hear about so and so suing another company. Technology brings so many lawsuits. Its crazy.
  13. AbsolutGaloot

AbsolutGaloot Newcomer, in training Posts: 92

This is terrifying. It leads one to wonder how many other tech products are price-fixed.
  14. UglyChild

UglyChild Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

Good, sue away so i can buy n97 at lower price.
  15. Heretic

Heretic Newcomer, in training Posts: 37

Good for Nokia. I'm with absolutgaloot, and I hope that if there ARE more tech products that are price-fixed that they'll be remedied.
  16. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 583   +45

I was going to say, "isn't this old news?", but they saved me the trouble! I hope this will mean cheaper phones for both AT&T and Nokia.
  17. DarKSeeD

DarKSeeD TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 104

Yes but some of these do good to customers :)
  18. Nirkon

Nirkon TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 243

I hope they pay what they deserve!

about the apple lawsuit, was there a followup story on that?
    any updates?
  19. does anyone know the name of the law firm handling the case in the UK?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.