Nokia supports Apple in Samsung product sales ban effort

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nokia filed an amicus brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington earlier this week to back Apple’s intentions of permanently banning select Samsung phones from being sold in America. The documents were sealed upon delivery but a summary from the Finnish handset maker said the court was wrong to deny Apple’s ban request.

Nokia’s move won’t get them directly involved in the legal battle but rather, they are simply offering up their opinion on the matter for the court to mull over. The company lays claim to more than 10,000 patents and is no stranger to the court room as they have battled with others (even Apple) in recent memory. In this instance, they aren’t specifically supporting either side but they are backing Apple’s right to seek a ban on products that they believe infringe on patents they own.

Keith Broyles, one of Nokia’s attorneys, believes U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh from San Jose, California, made an error when she ruled that Apple must show cause and effect with regards to alleged patent violations and demand for the iPhone.

He believes that such a ruling could cause widespread damage to the patent protection landscape. If left unchanged, Broyles believes the ruling could severely restrict or in some cases outright eliminate the ability of a patent holder to obtain injunction relief.

A California court ruled late last year that Apple hadn’t shown enough evidence to highlight a direct tie between demand for Samsung smartphones and IP that they allegedly infringed upon, therefore Apple’s request for a sales ban was denied.

Permalink to story.

"He believes that such a ruling could cause widespread damage to the patent protection landscape"
The patent system is BROKEN. Let them do whatever "damage" is necessary to get this trolling taken care of...
I have no respect for Keith Broyles and Nokia right now...

"He believes that such a ruling could cause widespread damage to the patent protection landscape"

Apple has already caused this widespread damage.

The patent system is BROKEN. Let them do whatever "damage" is necessary to get this trolling taken care of...
I have no respect for Keith Broyles and Nokia right now...

I have respect for Lucy Koh and California courts right now...

Nokia is pathetic. They just want to push out Samsung phones so they can fill the vacuum with their crappy phones - simply lame.

LOL

If you cant beat them join them is the new Nokia Moto!

You do realize that Nokia DID beat Apple right? Apple lost in court vs Nokia, I'm quite sure companies aren't raging fanbois like most of the commenters on tech sites.

Nokia has some nice products, but they have been making to many bad business decisions such as foolish exclusivity deals with AT&T and now jumping into a fight that is not their own, makes them ripe for bankruptcy. Sitting on a high horse too long and forgot about the customers that were feeding it.

Back