Nokia: switching to Windows Phone will take two years

Emil

Staff

Nokia today filed a 200-page 20-F form (PDF) with the Securities and Exchange Commission. It explains a number of new tidbits about Nokia's partnership with Microsoft, including that the transition to Windows Phone will take about two years. ZDNet skimmed the document and found that Microsoft was mentioned 101 times.

The document confirms that Microsoft and Nokia still haven't finalized the deal, which was announced last month. Microsoft and Nokia then announced that the latter was switching its primary smartphone platform to the former's Windows Phone operating system.

We've been debating on when Nokia will release its first Windows Phone device; will it be in 2011 or in 2012? It's important to note that just because the transition will take two years does not mean we will not see a Windows Phone device before then.

As we've already underlined before, nowhere in the Nokia-Microsoft announcement is Windows Phone 7 mentioned: the two simply refer to Windows Phone. It's thus quite possible that Nokia will push out Windows Phone 8 on its higher-end devices.

Ideally, it would be great to see cheap WP7 devices out in time for this year's holiday season, and more expensive Nokia WP(8) devices in 2012. Either way, Nokia still has 200 million Symbian owners it cannot simply drop by the wayside but needs to start converting to Windows Phone owners.

Permalink to story.

I think there could company cultural issues to overcome also - so it may not all be smooth sailing for NokiaSoft.

I'm still hoping that they can have at least a mid-range Windows Phone 7 device out before the year's end. The first wave of WP7 devices was way too expensive for me.

fpsgamerJR62 said:
I'm still hoping that they can have at least a mid-range Windows Phone 7 device out before the year's end. The first wave of WP7 devices was way too expensive for me.
My understanding is that, the Win7 Phone OS has strict hardware restrictions which is why for now Win7 phones are expensive, correct me if i'm wrong.

Back