Nokia to launch first Windows phones in Europe

Emil

Staff

At the 2011 Mobile Telecompaper conference in the Netherlands, Victor Saeijs, Vice President of Nokia Europe, reiterated to attendees that Nokia's first Windows Phone 7 handsets will be launching in Europe later this year. He noted that he was carrying an early prototype himself, but he of course could not show it off, according to All About Phones. The company will likely start with just one device, and will announce more at the 2012 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

Saeijs noted that the Netherlands will be included in the first wave of Nokia's new Windows phones, which will be running Windows Phone 7.1 (codenamed Mango). The mobile market in the Netherlands has apparently become increasingly important, with an 80 percent by revenue penetration of smartphones there, well ahead of the rest of Europe. According to Nokia, the addition of the Netherlands brings the number of countries that will receive the launch handsets to six: France, Germany, UK, Spain, and Italy are also on board. It's interesting to note that Finland, where Nokia is based, isn't on the list of launch countries.

Four months ago, Nokia announced that it was choosing Microsoft's Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform. Two months ago, Nokia and Microsoft finally signed a definitive agreement regarding their global mobile ecosystem partnership

It's generally accepted that Windows Phone is not selling well. AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with Windows Phone 7.1 (codenamed Mango) and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop meanwhile argues that Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android. He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off.

Permalink to story.

Well my iPhone contract runs out in march next year, I am currently getting the new iPhone 5 unless, nokia, you can prove to me why I should change to one of your phones? I have windows 7 on the desktop, ubuntu on the laptop and iOS4 on the phone as that's what I feel are best on those platforms, to suite my needs. convince me as to why yours is better suited to my needs? Haven't got a single thing to say? Didn't think so...

Symbian still kicks Windows Phone's *** ..

WP7 is usless at the moment, but with Symbian^3 you can do it all....with less hardware...

I dont care if uneducated, mostly american, so called tech journalists, think its old... i say that an OS that is no more then 1.5 years old is not that old.. when its been out less then 1 year it cant be that old. They might not understand the major diffrence between an OS and an UI ..but alot do.

...still waiting for anyone to tell me anything any other mobile OS can do, that Symbian^3 can't.

(if some random 3:rd part developer only made their little app for only one OS and not another does not count. Has nothing to do with an OS)

Stephen Elop is an *****

Burty117 said:
Well my iPhone contract runs out in march next year, I am currently getting the new iPhone 5 unless, nokia, you can prove to me why I should change to one of your phones? I have windows 7 on the desktop, ubuntu on the laptop and iOS4 on the phone as that's what I feel are best on those platforms, to suite my needs. convince me as to why yours is better suited to my needs? Haven't got a single thing to say? Didn't think so...

Well without telling anyone what your personal needs is, it hard to suggest an alternative.
Do you want to take the best pictures possible with a mobile phone camera?
WAnt USB-OTG functionallity?
Free Navigation, even when you are actually travelling and dont have datatraffic?
Direct output to a flatscreen TV via HDMI? (Not just selected stuff but all the screen, all the time)
Do you like to reach the filesystem without hacking your phone?
Want to edit photos and video nativly without 3rd party applications?
Want to have the freedom to edit the UI as you like, and change it completly?
Want to be able to transfer music, files, video from any computer OS that supports USB, without special software?
Want to connect a keyboard and a mouse?
Want to import and export contacts from another phone brand without hassle?

...just some stuff you can start to think about.

You can do all of that with a Nokia N8..
You can do nothing of it with Windows Phone.
with iOS you can do some of it if you hack the phone or add third party software.
Same with Android

(My N8 currently looks like a HTC Android in the UI, not just icons... the functions and swiping as well. Going to try to make it look like iOS for fun as well)

JudaZ said:

(My N8 currently looks like a HTC Android in the UI, not just icons... the functions and swiping as well. Going to try to make it look like iOS for fun as well)

are you saying it doesn't already look like iOS? That was one of my main turn offs about android, everyone had a slightly GUI that tried to look like iOS without being iOS. Android is also such a clunky OS, no one tries to code it efficiently and they keep blindly throwing hardware at it. "Maybe if we stick a dual core and a 1gb of ram in here it might run in a tolerable fashion." Please, it's open source for a reason, no one would have started using it if it wasn't. It's the only reason Android go off it's feet and now people think they have 2 choices, Android or iOS. BB seems to ignored by everyone aside from business users.

In the next year WP7 is going to get really big, especially as the marketplace is getting more apps. I know it sucks that you have to pay to makes apps for WP7 but at least the marketplace isn't bloated up by 16 year olds who think they know something about computers.

yRaz said:
JudaZ said:

are you saying it doesn't already look like iOS? That was one of my main turn offs about android, everyone had a slightly GUI that tried to look like iOS without being iOS. Android is also such a clunky OS, no one tries to code it efficiently and they keep blindly throwing hardware at it. "Maybe if we stick a dual core and a 1gb of ram in here it might run in a tolerable fashion." Please, it's open source for a reason, no one would have started using it if it wasn't. It's the only reason Android go off it's feet and now people think they have 2 choices, Android or iOS. BB seems to ignored by everyone aside from business users.

In the next year WP7 is going to get really big, especially as the marketplace is getting more apps. I know it sucks that you have to pay to makes apps for WP7 but at least the marketplace isn't bloated up by 16 year olds who think they know something about computers.

When Android appeared, if I remember correctly, Symbian was a player too with handsets like N97, etc. Symbian was open source too. The reason that Android was open source wasn't enough - it was backed by Google, had a satisfactory increase of the number of apps and it allowed freedom to both users and developers - for example alternative marketplaces are possible - didn't hear that to be possible on iOS.
You seem to credit WP7 too much. Remember, MS had a chance with Windows Mobile series - what makes you think they got it right this time? They started pushing WP7 handsets on market lacking basic functionality like copy & paste. With their history and the new fresh start I bet "WP7 is going to get really big". And what makes you think that a developer that pays in order to make application for WP7 will offer you something better? Look at the Adobe's Flash versions from the last four years and Microsoft Vista - even with millions of dollars spent in product development and they still release bad products. I prefer 16 years old since they don't shove their products down your throat with aggressive marketing. Not to mention that they don't have armies of fanboys to protect their products.

Back