TechSpot

Nokia's Ovi Maps rumored to replace Microsoft's Bing Maps

By Emil
May 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. We've known for a while that Nokia's devices and services will soon have their search powered by Bing and their advertising services powered by Microsoft adCenter. We've also known that…

Read the whole story
  2. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 299

Ovi maps are ages behind Google maps in every aspect, so it's not a step forward.
  3. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632   +60

Really? I was under the impressions that ovi maps were one of the main reason nokia people were upset over this merger. QT, being the other major reason as they feel it is miles ahead of .net in flexibility and overall usefulness.
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,041   +72

Its not about QT beside that assertion is questionable, I think Nokia never realized that they have fallen behind the competition so badly, anyway, Ovi maps are decent replacement. I think Google was able to market Android because of its open source nature (which is a huge plus), otherwise, it is pretty close to iOS as Google successfully copied iOS's appearance (as I always say it feels like a cheap iOS imitation), but much more unstable/crash prone and at times damn right slow. So if MS/Nokia can offer an compelling product, it can only be good for competition. Beside MS has much more creative interface and reasonable enough OS (for now) which should reach parity with others by the end of this year. So all in all I am looking forward to Nokia's first WP phone, hopefully they will launch a much more compelling product :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.