TechSpot

Non-responsive display driver

By MarieAndree89
Feb 17, 2010
  1. I'm having various problems with my computer as a result of the display driver and I'm unsure how to fix it.
    My computer is a HP Pavilion dv6000 using Windows Vista if that matters.
    The start of the problem was I was just using the internet and my screen went black, not off but just black. I waited and nothing changed so I turned the computer off, and then back on several times and each time I turned the computer on the screen would be half black and half white, or all white and start to change colours. Just as a result of my impatience of turning it back on and off on and off the computer finally went to the boot up screen then started doing a start-up repair, which led to a sytem restore. Then after a few minutes of perfect usage, as in perfect colour, display, speed, etc. The process would repeat itself from turning black, to turning white, eventually leading to the start-up repair and system restore. Each time I go through this process the computer works for a longer period of time. Occasionally something will differ like the screen will go black and then restore itself a few seconds later, saying the display driver stopped responding but now it has responded, or the computer will just randomly restart itself and start up as normal, and once and a while we skip the part of when I turn the computer back on it turning white or white and black and it will just launch into the login screen. I have removed a bunch of space hogging junk off the computer, done a virus scan, updated the display driver, defrag, called technical support for HP (which they have the solution but my warranty which I never used once the whole time I had it has now expired a short time ago). When I go to Problem Reports and Solutions it says this exactly:

**"Address a problem with NVIDIA Graphics Driver
    NVIDIA Graphics Driver has stopped working properly.

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

Check for optional third-party updates

Even if all critical updates have been installed on your computer, optional updates might be available for NVIDIA Graphics Driver that have yet to be installed. Here's how to use Windows Update to check for and install optional driver updates:

Click to go online to the Windows Update website

In the left pane, click Check for updates to see if there are any optional updates available for your computer.

If optional updates are available, click the link to view and select the updates to install. (If you don't see this link, you might have to click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update).

If no optional updates are available, go to step 2.

Select the optional updates you want to install (especially if they appear to be graphics related), click OK, and then click Install updates.

Try updating NVIDIA Graphics Driver manually

If no optional NVIDIA Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, you can try updating NVIDIA Graphics Driver manually.

Note
    It's best to let Windows install drivers for your hardware automatically, as described in step 1 above.

If you decide to manually update NVIDIA Graphics Driver, here's how to do it:

Click to open Device Manager If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, double-click Display adapters, and then double-click the name of the device running NVIDIA Graphics Driver.

Click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Windows will locate and install a new driver if one is available.

Check the NVIDIA Corporation website for driver updates

If no optional NVIDIA Graphics Driver updates were available in Windows Update, go online to the following website to check for driver updates:

Click to go online to the NVIDIA Corporation website to find out if a solution or update is available
    How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

Click to open Device Manager If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver.

Note
    If you are running the latest version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver and are still experiencing the problem, we recommend that you contact NVIDIA Corporation or the manufacturer for additional information and support.

Check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates

If NVIDIA Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, check your computer manufacturer's website for driver updates.

How do I find my computer manufacturer?

Click the Start button , type msinfo32 in the Search box, and then press ENTER. Your computer manufacturer is listed as the System Manufacturer in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers
    How to manually update a driver using a downloaded file

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

When asked how you want to search for driver software, click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Browse, locate where you placed the new driver on your computer, click OK, and then click Next. Windows will locate and install the new driver".**

I've tried all of these things, and everything else above mentioned and I am very frustrated and don't know what else to do! It is working perfectly fine right now, it has been lasting for about 3-4 hours at this point before it crashes and repeats the process.
    If anyone has any ideas to help me it would be very much appreciated and I should probably mention that although I am definitely computer literate I'm not an expert so it would be helpful if you could simplify the solution as much as possible for me.

Thank you so much!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

You did a lot of good work. Question: Is this still under warrenty? If so I'd contact HP pronto and tell the steps you took to rectify your issue. This may not be a driver issue but a hardware issue.

3. MarieAndree89

MarieAndree89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I've called, my warranty expired a few months ago! Do you know what kind of hardware issue?
    When the computer self-diagnosis it says it is the Display Driver thats not working correctly.

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,172   +37

Okay then, try the following and get back to us.

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.