Noob needs help installing XP

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and am having some trouble.
I have just received a second hand laptop from a family member who had bought himself a new one. This laptop is an Asus x52s with a copy of windows 7 on it.
I am trying to install xp on it but i am having trouble with sata drivers.
i have tried modding the install disc with nLite but i keep getting a cablib extract error so i am now turning to others for help.
i have read up as much as i can about this topic and people have told me to format and do a fresh install of xp but that won't solve my driver issue.

please help.

As you know your issue is because XP doesn't provide native SATA drivers and therefore can't recognise the SATA drive.

Do you have a USB floppy drive?

The easiest way is to download the SATA driver for your laptop, and then put it on a floppy disk and press F6 at the start of windows setup.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick check shows Asus support for your model is terrible. All thats listed in support for your laptop is the manual!

The last post on this page might be useful for you though: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...S&id=20080420091230187&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

I think you might be better keeping hold of Windows 7 as it will be much better for recognising and configuring drivers than Windows XP.

Do you have the original drivers CD, or original backup partition on the laptop still?

Yes, the smaller ones can be used, but they are required to be setup prior to being used so it mounts as a floppy. You'll need to search this though as I'm struggling to find credible sources to link.

Before going to the heart ache of doing this, I would recommend you read and follow this guide and try to use nlite from scratch again. It really is the best way of doing this and I've used it many times before.

Back