Noob trying to upgrade graphics card for gaming

nalga

Hello guys I new here and I am noob with graphics card so here for some help sorry if I am posting wrong place or if I said or don't say what I should say.. :(

So I have a w7 32bit system with a Geforce Nvidia 6150SE. I play online game and I am getting into higher graphics game and I can't play them as well as I want because of the graphics... So question is What info do I need to post for you guys to help me figure out What's the best graphics card I can add to my pc? I have been told that I might as well buy a new pc but I don't have the money to buy new at this moment so looking to just update me graphics enough to play games well so I need graphics card that will be good with my pc without updating anything alse because I have no clue how to do software updates ect, scared as it is trying to update graphics card.

thank you for reading, hoping for a good reply ^^

What is your monitor screen resolution, and how much do you want your graphics to improve, and how much money do you have to spend. A high end graphics card will roughly require a quality 500 watt power supply too.

I have a 1600x900 Well I want to spend like 100 dollars or so. but just the graphics card been told that if I update the graphics car higher means I have to buy new this new that I just want update graphics card I don't know if that possible... like I said I am new to this

244zp.png

I would like to play A.V.A., AC, knight Age, Black light if its possible even Wareface when it comes out

Best option: save up for a whole new PC. This one is getting on a bit.

Other: You could buy a $100 GPU.. but overall I don't think you'll be happy playing the above games on low settings.

Yea I been told that lol reasond I said that on my first post; but when I go shoping I see pc that have like Graphics card that I don't really understand all I know is Nvidia GeForce. I know I need a NVidia GeForce GT or GTX 600 or higher to play the games I want but like I said when I go looking for pc I don't see any with Nvidia GeForce GT/GTX 600 or higher... I like Nvidia because it said it's the best Graphics card.. But I am willing to spend up to 1,000 dollars in a pc but want a Nvidia GTX 600+

BTW thx for the help ^^

If you go to retail stores (like the electronic Walmart equivalent), they will charge you a lot for mediocre hardware. You could order parts online for a lot cheaper.

Either find someone to help you put it together, or pay a bit extra for the online store to build as well. $1000 could get you some decent stuff.

Otherwise, you're looking at something like this: Intel i5 quad-core, NVIDIA GTX 660Ti, 4-8GB RAM.

The other graphics card manufacturer is AMD, and they have some better bang-for-your-buck cards. Something like HD 7850.

You don't NEED a GeForce 6xx series just to play the games you want. You could get a 5xx series, or even a 4xx series and play those games on very nice settings if you wanted. The thing is that your ENTIRE SYSTEM brings games to life, it's not just all down to the graphics card. The GPU is a large part of it, but it's not everything. That's why people are saying maybe you need a new system because that other stuff matters almost as much as the new card. The CPU, the amount of RAM you have, how FAST the RAM is, your hard drive's spin speed... lots of little things affect how well your system handles games. Everything matters.

And don't you dare forget the other most important thing when you're upgrading to a new card. You may need a new power supply!!! Even though we live in a much more advanced era of technology than say... 5 or 6 years ago, it's likely that you may not have enough power to RUN a new card if you try to install a new one, and you might even destroy your system if you installed one without the right power supply. It depends on if you built your system yourself or not. If it was a store-bought computer, you might not have enough power, or the supply may be of low quality.

If you're going to run a modestly powerful system, I suggest a minimum of 650 watts of power to run everything you need. Make sure to pick one from Thermaltake, Corsair, Antec, or maybe Cooler Master. Any other brand and you might be getting an iffy power supply. But a good 650 watt supply with an 80%+ efficiency certification should more than easily cover you unless you start running multiple graphics cards... but nevermind that. 650 watts minimum, and anything from a GeForce 460/480 GTX all the way up to their 6xx series cards should easily do the job. And if you want to try AMD's side of things, anything from their 6xxx series to their 7xxx series should do, but will recommend that you stick with the 6870 and above for serious gaming.

Here's a good tip with Nvidia cards: If you want a nice card from Nvidia, always make sure you go for a model that has GTX or Ti in the name. GTX and Ti are always given to their strongest cards of any series of cards they design. If you see names like GTS, GTO, or even GT, I'd stay away. The GT cards aren't too bad, but if you're a performance nut, they don't quite have enough punch.

If you go for a card from AMD, make sure that the last two numbers are 70. Examples: 7970, or 6870, 7770, 7870... Any of the ones that have 70 at the end are the much more powerful cards.

One more good tip: check how much memory the card has built onto it. The models with more RAM are the better ones. So if you see something like GTX 660 Ti 2GB, go for that over a 1GB model. You will see better performance. The same goes for any card from any manufacturer. More memory is better. The problem is that the models with more RAM cost a lot more.

These tips are a little simplified, but will definitely steer you in the right direction. I don't want to get too technical and give you an info overload. If you have any questions at all, post away. There is no such thing as a stupid question. I'm sure we'd all happily teach you.

I will also very happily post you the specifications for a system for around 1000 bucks if you want and you can order the parts and build it yourself.

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160 Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533 Hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605 Graphics card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145263 RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123111 SATA cable for the hard drive.

Total Cost:
$1039.42

I wasn't sure if you would need a new tower or not, so I put the case in there just in...case...
Without the case in there, the total comes to $899.43 and gives you a little bit of room to play with to upgrade the CPU to a better model, or the graphics card to a better model/alternate brand... like, say... Nvidia.

You want to make sure you have a nice big tower when you're doing a build just so there's good air flow and lots of room to mess around in. If you have a mid-sized tower instead of full ATX size, you'll be feeling cramped. Anything smaller, and this design flops completely. Make sure you've got AT MINIMUM a medium sized tower to do all this stuff in.

I also assumed with this design that there's a lot of stuff you'd be salvaging from the old computer, like your peripherals...for example your screen, keyboard, mouse, sound card if you had one, and a few other odds and ends.

First of all I want to thank you all learning about from yo. :)

I have never Build a pc so this might be something I need to do; but first I got some questions

1.for link https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/noob-trying-to-upgrade-graphics-card-for-gaming.189347/
what is that?
2. I am new to computer building and learning a lot stuff from this post but I read around other post and I know I need a i7 core because that makes programs room stuff and got lag free ect so I found http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229 idk will that go with the build your telling me so I can go ahead and put that and not the i5?

3. I want more of a Nvidia like I said but it's k if I buy that but can u translate it to Nvidia? like is that a Nvidia GT or GTX 6xxx?

and again thx for the help

Ah and the graphics card for Warface is GTx 280 so anything higher than that would be good

It doesn't matter if it's AMD, or NVIDIA, or what the equivalent is. :p You aren't sure on the specs anyway! Let's just say, it's good. :D

But alas, I see a problem with Newegg - nalga won't know how to put it all together. :(

Also, I have my doubts about the parts IvanAwfulitch posted. $1000 is a bit of a tight budget to squeeze performance into. My points:
1. Case needs to be cheaper. $140 is a lot for a $1000 PC.
2. Z77 mobo not required. H77 will do fine and is a lot cheaper.
3. 8GB RAM is standard these days. 2x 4GB sticks.

Get the money saved to pay for someone to build it and perhaps buy new peripherals.

I posted 4 gig sticks because this guy has Windows 7 32 bit. He can't even use 8 gigs without upgrading his OS first. And the case is expensive because it's built to last, it's high quality, and you won't find a much cheaper one that's full ATX that still offers what the HAF does unless you really WANT something made of cheap plastic.

The mobo is "not required" but has the features that will make it last for the longest number of years. It has two PCI 3.0 ports for if he ever chooses to use two graphics cards, supports a huge variety of RAM types, a good array of processors, and was rated very highly by the users on Newegg. Most importantly, it's a full sized board which means better reliability and performance in general. You shouldn't have any reason to downgrade to a micro-ATX board especially if you've got a mid-sized tower or a full ATX size tower. None at all, ESPECIALLY if it's actually within the budget.

And it's really not difficult to put a computer together. Why pay when you can learn to do it yourself? The "he doesn't know how to do it himself" is a defeatist attitude. Why not learn?

And what new peripherals could he possibly need? His screen is 1600x900 so it's at least 20 inches which isn't small, and serious keyboard/mouse setups can always come later when the computer is up and running.

1000 dollars isn't a cheap build, Stickman. I don't know what you're thinking. And as far as builds go, the build I listed is probably one of the best you can get for 1000 dollars.

Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ->>>($18)<<<-newegg.com
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ->>>($91)<<<-Amazon
Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply->>>($59.99)<<<-newegg
Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case->>>($49.99)<<<-newegg
MSI GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card->>>($279.99)<<<-Newegg
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive->>>($64.99)<<<-newegg
Corsair XMS3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory-x2->>>($49.98)<<<-amazon
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard->>>($104.99)<<<-newegg
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor->>>$213.79<<<-Amazon
($932)
this is under 1k :) good build?

Swap the RAM for something like what I included (Newegg), and the CPU/mobo too. The CPU you listed is previous generation.

The PSU should be OK, but maybe someone else can confirm.

For that build 600 watts is enough. If you ever want to try using a second graphics card though, your minimum shoots up to 750 recommended. So be clear on what you're going to end up doing with your build.

St1ckM4n: So your saying the build is good but I be better of using the "G.skill Are series 8GB (2x4GB 240-pin DDR3 SRRAM 1600 (PC312800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO", "Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K" and "CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 650W ATX12V v2.2 /EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Gertified Modular Active PFC Power..."

IvanAwfulitch: O.o? my build is going to fail?

And btw yea I found a video on youtube how to build a pc so building it is just scary not impossible :)

No, your build won't fail. I'm saying that if you ever want to use two graphics cards at the same time, you need more power and it's smarter to invest earlier rather than later. Just make sure of what you want.

If you only want one graphics card, 600 watts is fine.

If you want two, you need at least 750 watts.

Using two graphics cards at the same time lets you have higher resolution graphics, and increases your frame-rate at high resolutions.

Let's say you go and get a new screen that supports a native resolution of 2560x1600. That's a very huge resolution. So if you want improved performance on a screen that size, you'd want a second graphics card.

Having a second graphics card is only worth it if you are using high resolutions because it was specifically designed with this application in mind.

The only reason I mention this is, if it were me spending 1000 dollars on a new computer, I'd plan it in such a way that if I ever wanted to do something like that, I'd want two PCI-E 3.0 slots on the motherboard, and I'd want a huge screen that supports insane resolutions.

And if I want two graphics cards, I need a powerful PSU.

Naa I am good with the 1600x900 don't think I need higher than that but I would like high frame rate,

ANYWAYS getting back to what I come here to start with What is the Best graphics card I can add to this old pc I have, because I want to give them pc to my bother so he can play games with me although not high graphics games as I would like but like the onces I am playing atm so What's a graphics card that is best then what I have atm that will only have to update the graphics card nothing alse

It does not have to meet the sysrq of the games I said I just want add a little more graphics to it

Back