Northbridge fan noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

g4mer

I have MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard, and recently this northbridge fan started to make very loud irritating noise. I cant buy a heatsink because of my graphic card size. I NEED SOFTWARE that can control northbridge fan speed so i can lower it. I tried using SpeedFan and its not working.

Hi g4mer,
I think that's going to be a tall order with your system. If you had a series 7 I would point you at AMD OD. But two things leap to mind. 1) if it just started making a loud noise,its dying.
2) NB fans generally run at very high speeds 3-5k RPM, and if you reduce the speed, your NB may run exceedingly hot and destabilize things. At any rate it sounds like you will have to replace it sooner rather than later. This one from FrozenCPU is made low profile specifically for the reason you mentioned.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...ridge_Low-Profile_Heatsink.html?tl=g40c16s500
If this one will clear the caps on the end of your GFX card, I just purchase this one myself,and it has proved to be excellent.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ipset_Cooler_TTC-CSC31TZRB.html?tl=g40c16s500

Not sure what sort of problem you're having. Thermalright has the HR05-SLI, which has the heatsink away from the top of the NB itself, so you should be able to clear the caps and whatnot.

If your current fan fits, another is available.
If your video graphics card is limiting space that much, it may be the cause of heat and limited air flow that created problems for your existing fan.
There are plenty of fan assemblies or even heat sink assemblies online and at Frys.com, Directron.com, NewEgg, CDW, and so many others.

I dont know whats wrong with NB fan, but its making noise like a chainsaw. It looks very loose and unstable, Like its going to fall of. As i know i need to pullout motherboard and everything from the case to get to the NB fan right??

Usually just the motherboard.

Also, if you're already starting to replace it, removing the original NB HSF is pretty tough. Its stuck on "permanently" via some sort of epoxy, and is stuck pretty well. Heating it (maybe by removing the fan and letting the computer run for abit) might help loosen it a little.

Just also remember to undo all the screws and stuff first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back